Honored Contributor

Re: Decisions made on kitchen renovation

@froggy wrote:

@m0rgan wrote:

I like the combination.  I would make sure all lowers are drawers.  Some deep drawers for pots and pans and casserole dishes, some not so deep for flatware.  No more sitting on the floor to get in the back of cabinets.  We put them in my mil house and they work great.  Would lke them in my house but cabinets relatively new so can't justify the reno.

An alternative to drawers would be pull out shelves in the lower cabinets. I will never be without these. I keep all my dinnerware, mixing bowls , pots and pans and glass and L & L storage in my lower cabs.

@Mominohio  I am reorganizing and putting in new shelf paper this week. If you like I'll take some picures and post.

@froggy 

I'd love to see pictures!

I really would like the pull outs, but I'm loosing a bank of cabinets (by choice), and am afraid using the pull outs will cost me too much more space. I am getting rid of the black hole corner cupboards, by putting in some corner cabinets that are going to be much more functional, so that will help. I'm afraid I'd break them with the weight of things I will need to/want to store in the reduced space. 

I know I am getting rid of a lot of things that I have been storing in the kitchen, and not using. I've started reducing my dish sets already, selling some online today. 

Please do post pics. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio   I love the floor.  However, I have no idea what the other samples are for.  You have a white samples and 2 other patterned ones.  What's up?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Mominohio   I love the floor.  However, I have no idea what the other samples are for.  You have a white samples and 2 other patterned ones.  What's up?

@Katcat1 

The big one is the floor. 

The one that looks white, is an ivory sample for the color of the cabinets. 

The two that look like granite/quartz, are samples of countertop, which is going to be laminate. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  Girl, you made an outstanding choice.  It is beautiful.  Thanks for letting me know.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mominohio  I would also like more details about your flooring - along with @homedecor1 

@PA Mom-mom 

@homedecor1 

The flooring is by Armstrong. It is a laminate, their prysm line. It is waterproof and supposed to stand up to the toughest of dog nails, kids, shoes etc. and rigid core.

It looks like a distressed wood, has a lot of highs and lows and graining and texture (embossed), so it hides a lot of things that could happen to it. It has a high impact rating to prevent denting if you drop things on it. It's all so very different than what I have now, and I'm excited for something totally different, and new and nice (old kitchen is quite tired looking!).

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mominohio  I would also like more details about your flooring - along with @homedecor1 

@PA Mom-mom 

@homedecor1 

The flooring is by Armstrong. It is a laminate, their prysm line. It is waterproof and supposed to stand up to the toughest of dog nails, kids, shoes etc. and rigid core.

It looks like a distressed wood, has a lot of highs and lows and graining and texture (embossed), so it hides a lot of things that could happen to it. It has a high impact rating to prevent denting if you drop things on it. It's all so very different than what I have now, and I'm excited for something totally different, and new and nice (old kitchen is quite tired looking!).

@Mominohio  Thanks for the info! We are looking at new flooring and had been leaning toward the Armstrong. This really helps!

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@m0rgan wrote:

I like the combination.  I would make sure all lowers are drawers.  Some deep drawers for pots and pans and casserole dishes, some not so deep for flatware.  No more sitting on the floor to get in the back of cabinets.  We put them in my mil house and they work great.  Would lke them in my house but cabinets relatively new so can't justify the reno.

An alternative to drawers would be pull out shelves in the lower cabinets. I will never be without these. I keep all my dinnerware, mixing bowls , pots and pans and glass and L & L storage in my lower cabs.

@Mominohio  I am reorganizing and putting in new shelf paper this week. If you like I'll take some picures and post.

@froggy 

I'd love to see pictures!

I really would like the pull outs, but I'm loosing a bank of cabinets (by choice), and am afraid using the pull outs will cost me too much more space. I am getting rid of the black hole corner cupboards, by putting in some corner cabinets that are going to be much more functional, so that will help. I'm afraid I'd break them with the weight of things I will need to/want to store in the reduced space. 

I know I am getting rid of a lot of things that I have been storing in the kitchen, and not using. I've started reducing my dish sets already, selling some online today. 

Please do post pics. 

@Mominohio  Somehow I ended up posting the pictures under homedecor1's thread which mentions you in the title.

You are right that you do lose some space with the pullouts - I'm lucky that I have a lot of cabinets. My reorg project right now is removing stuff that I really don't use and putting it out in the garage. 

You do have to be careful about putting a lot of weight on the pullouts. I do put quite a lot on them but I'm careful about how far out I pull them.

I hate those black hole corner cabinets also!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  It's going to look great. I know you are excited. It will be worth it in the end.

Honored Contributor

Very nice. It looks tranquil.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Very nice. It looks tranquil.

@AuntG 

That is what I was going for! LOL

Some may call it boring, but I was looking to go lighter, cleaner, and updated, but still very traditional.