Honored Contributor

Re: Debunking those vacuum cleaner presentations

@SandySparkles wrote:

Good observation! It seems they are equally good vacuums. I like my older Dyson canister vac but LOVE my new Shark Uplight Apex Lift-a-way stick vac. It is corded, but does an amazing job. My Dyson still has a place in my heart and is used on the main floor. The Shark travels up and downstairs because it is the easiest to carry.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles, stop talking about this vacuum!!  I'm still kicking myself for not buying it when it was the TS on HSN.  LOL  J/K  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would never buy a cordless vac unless it had an optional electrical cord which could be used if the battery went dead....and when it comes time to replace the battery because it won't charge, those batteries are not cheap.

@SilleeMee, exactly.  I wonder how much those batteries cost?

It's like all those filters that are on these vacuum cleaners too.  It used to be that they needed to be replaced and they were $50.00+ for a filter. 

Then they made them washable.  They still get ratty after awhile from all the washing.  And I swear after you wash/rinse them once, it washes away a coating or something because mine need to be washed after everytime I vacuum.  

I am ready to go back to the old-fashioned bag vacuums.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva 

Shark's ION battery costs $90, includes tax and sh.

And if you think you can find a cheap one then that's not good because most likely it's old and old lithium batteries won't last...lithium batteries work on a clock and run down normally starting from the time they come out of the factory.

Li-ion operated devices ...you never really know how old the battery is and that's a gamble you take when you buy battery-operated anything. Some Li-ion batteries could last 4 maybe 5 years and rarely longer but that can occur, too. Most Li-ion batteries typically last around 2 to 3 years on average before needing replaced. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have multiple styles of Dysons for different needs. We have GSD's that shed like crazy and it's amazing the hair this machine picks up. I vacuum twice a week with a variety of floor surfaces. I purchased the V10 last year and love it for quick pick ups or places (like the steps) where I want the convenience and lighter weight to vaccum. I do use all the attachments. It may only be a few times a year but the righta tool for the job.  I'm happy with my Dysons.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

Good observation! It seems they are equally good vacuums. I like my older Dyson canister vac but LOVE my new Shark Uplight Apex Lift-a-way stick vac. It is corded, but does an amazing job. My Dyson still has a place in my heart and is used on the main floor. The Shark travels up and downstairs because it is the easiest to carry.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles, stop talking about this vacuum!!  I'm still kicking myself for not buying it when it was the TS on HSN.  LOL  J/K  

LOL.👌😉.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖 

Respected Contributor

I obtained cordless handheld Dyson with promotional points - not 6 months later it quit working.  Found out it's $95 to replace the battery with a new Dyson battery.  I'm not sure if I want to spring for a new battery or throw it out. BF suggested I get an off-brand battery with is about $20 cheaper. 

Our old Black and Decker cordless is still working after 5 years but doesn't have the suction or capacity of the Dyson. 

Esteemed Contributor

Cordless vacs are a God send to those not able to maneuver heavy vacs, bending down to plug and unplug so they do have their place.  I bought the Dyson cordless last year as a secondary vac for quick pick up but find I am using it more and more as my primary.  It gets in and out of tight spaces and under furniture.  Light enough to reach high places.  Just my experience. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would never buy a cordless vac unless it had an optional electrical cord which could be used if the battery went dead....and when it comes time to replace the battery because it won't charge, those batteries are not cheap.

It's like all those filters that are on these vacuum cleaners too.  It used to be that they needed to be replaced and they were $50.00+ for a filter. 

Then they made them washable.  They still get ratty after awhile from all the washing.  And I swear after you wash/rinse them once, it washes away a coating or something because mine need to be washed after everytime I vacuum.  

@Lipstickdiva 

Yep, me too bring back the old fashioned bag vacuums.....just like those that cut the cable chord now use TV antennas again to get local channels....everything old is new again......I bet the vacuums with bags will return sometime in the future....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

Yep, me too bring back the old fashioned bag vacuums.....just like those that cut the cable chord now use TV antennas again to get local channels....everything old is new again......I bet the vacuums with bags will return sometime in the future....

@Spurt, I still have an old bag vacuum I use upstairs and it does a fine job.  LOL  One of my bosses still owns one too and his is new.  He absolutely will not buy a vacuum with the canister you have to empty.   

Valued Contributor

Go to a store that sells vacum cleaners. Granted it's still sales BS but I found I got pretty good info on the different brands.