Honored Contributor

Debunking those vacuum cleaner presentations

We recently bought the Dyson V11 Cordless Stick Vac TSV from HSN (not the more recent Q TSV).  After we got it we decided to do a test.  We already had an old Dyson vacuum DC14.  So, we vacuumed the bedroom with it and then followed with the new Dyson stick vacuum.  The first pic shows what the new vacuum picked up.

Then, we vacuumed the living room with the new vacuum and followed with the old Dyson corded vacuum.  The second pic shows what the old vacuum picked up.  Granted, the living room is bigger than the bedroom.  But, if the new stick vacuum was so much better than the old corded vacuum, it really shouldn't have picked up anything, right?  

I think one of the reasons is the speed at which we vacuum, including the vendors, and they may even do it on purpose so they get more dirt with whatever vacuum they are presenting.

Doesn't mean we'll send it back, or that anything is wrong with the new vac except that the canister is quite small and that max line doesn't even go halfway up the canister.  

Dyson V11 Cordless.jpg

Dyson DC14.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Debunking those vacuum cleaner presentations

Good observation! It seems they are equally good vacuums. I like my older Dyson canister vac but LOVE my new Shark Uplight Apex Lift-a-way stick vac. It is corded, but does an amazing job. My Dyson still has a place in my heart and is used on the main floor. The Shark travels up and downstairs because it is the easiest to carry.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

The cordless gets into places my old Dyson doesn't like underneath our coffee table.  Also, the old one is very cumbersome when using the tools, so that's another area where the cordless excels.  And I look forward to using the canister without the long pole on the stairs.  I would like to get the little power head for that which didn't come with this deal.  That'll make doing stairs a breeze.

Valued Contributor

I worried about the small canister, too.

I did not purchase Dyson's special value.

Honored Contributor

Yes, that would make me angry.  

There are tricks they use to make a product look better.  

Pay attention to the pressure washers.  They spinkle dirt over siding and other things, then show how easily it comes off.

They show removal of algae off vinyl siding, but I'd like to see them remove years of black algae embedded in concrete.  Algae on vinyl siding and other surfaces is very easy to remove with a brush.  

As for battery operated vacuum cleaners, I'm not convinced they have the suction of electrics.  You just proved that to me.  

Honored Contributor

I would never buy a cordless vac unless it had an optional electrical cord which could be used if the battery went dead....and when it comes time to replace the battery because it won't charge, those batteries are not cheap.

Honored Contributor

After being duped by numerous QVC cleaning products, I've come to realize that the presentations are full of baloney.  The only ones I've been happy with are my Haan floor steamer, which has been a workhorse for more than a decade and the Green Gobbler drain cleaner that I bought recently. Even with the Green Gobbler, they don't mention the stench it creates while it's working.  I had to run my whole house fan for  hours to get rid of the smell, but I did give the product a good review because it worked.

I don't own a vacuum since throwing my two year old Shark into the dumpster last year.  I bought it at BB&B, but it is a model that has been sold on QVC.  Piece of junk - blew cat litter all over the room, rather than picking it up and pretty much all-around useless.  I have a cleaning lady that comes twice a month and although I have hardwood floors throughout my house, I really need a vacuum.  I'm afraid to buy one because the last three I've owned were awful.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I'm looking for a decent CORDLESS vac that I can use in between and for quick pick ups.  We have had several Electrolux over many years and they were fabulous.  The one I have now is on its' last breath!  Sadly Electrolux is not manufacturing them any longer. 

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?      I probably should start as a new post.  

Thanks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat , agree, the HAAN rocks!. I bought the original yellow one as a "Hot Pick" some years ago, and I've stocked up on pads just in case.

I even bought the short handle adapter but of course I've never used it!

I think it's funny you no longer have a vac.  I have three.  A Dyson small ball (recommend) and two Shark rotators (also recommend).  One for the garage (Shark) one for the main level (Dyson), third, the baby Shark (baseball fans will get the reference) for the 2nd level.

Life is just dirty.  We pick it up and blow it out and it just comes back.  Call it Mother Earth, if you will.

🌎

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I also love my Haans.  I have two.  However, the plastic hose for the one I have where you can remove the water tank and use separately sucks.  The little tabs that hold it onto the reservoir quickly broke off.  Then, the Haan website was unusable for quite a long time so I couldn't order a replacement.  Last time I looked a few weeks ago it appeared to be back up and running so I guess I need to order a replacement before they go down again.