Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dark Kitchens: Cozy or Depressing?

Don't care for light kitchens or white cabinets. I like dark wood. The gray one is a bit dark but I do like the dark woods. 

Esteemed Contributor

Dark shows every speck of dust and looks so heavy.

Depressing...................

Esteemed Contributor

I like dark cabinets with contrasting lighter colors in a kitchen. Also depends greatly how much natural light the kitchen gets, as well as it's size and the style of the house/home.

For my small-ish eat-in kitchen I chose lighter cherry cabinets with a light floor and back splash and medium granite counter tops. Contrasting sage green pier cabinets and table. Well lit with large windows, a skylight and sliding doors in the adjoining DR.

Picture #1 yes. Love the marble. The others: not my style.

Honored Contributor

I was recently touring two model homes with DH and one kitchen had black cabinets and the other kitchen had gray. I really didn't like either but it seems to be the "current thing"...  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

They're all too dark for me, but the only one I find depressing is the second one.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

My preference is for "dark."  My preference for all rooms is dark.  Bright and sunny bothers me.

There was a time I felt this way.  In recent years I have come to prefer neutral, soothing tones.  They are neither light nor dark.

Respected Contributor

Those are too dark for me.   I would never want black anything - cabinets or counters. 

I do like dark floors though. 

Honored Contributor

If your kitchen was dark due to lack of sunshine.  I think the cabinets should be white or another light color and the floors need to be light.  You need to brighten it up somehow.  HeartCat Wink

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

To me it's depressing.  I like light and bright.

I love this kitchen. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

My preference is for "dark."  My preference for all rooms is dark.  Bright and sunny bothers me.

@ALRATIBA  ...

LOL!