Honored Contributor

Re: Dark Kitchens: Cozy or Depressing?

Too dark. Medium wood tones would be my choice.

Honored Contributor

It depends on the lighting. I live in a villa so no windows in the kitchen, and I hated the darkness. My housekeeper recommended we replace the ceiling light bulbs with LED bulbs in the daylight brightness. They have made the kitchen nice and bright & cheerful.

Esteemed Contributor

Light / bright preferred. Okay with neutrals if pops of color used. Do not like dark kitchens.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I like them all.  Not crazy about the marble in the first one.

Respected Contributor

A couple years ago, I had my kitchen painted elephant gray, including the baseboards. My cabinets are off-white and my counters are a combo of gray, browns, and specks of off-white in stone. Since I was first married decades ago, I've always had blue in my kitchen and my everyday dishes are blue & white. It's hot where I live, so I have a blind over the kitchen window with gray panels on the bottom and a cobalt valance. I have a couple of cobalt accessories and keep a rather modern look. I love having a gray kitchen.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like dark kitchens.Several years ago I redid mine.I did white cabinets with crown mounding,brushed stainless appliances,mat marble countertop,& a white ceramic tile floor with a very light grey leaflike pattern.It came out gorgeous!! I also painted the walls a light silvery grey. I get compliments all the time!! I have 3 side by side windows which bring in a lot of light.

My kitchen is the first thing you see when you enter my home 🏡. It's also the gathering place for family & friends so I wanted it to be both elegant & comfortable. 

Trusted Contributor

I just moved into a newly remodeled home last year with a beautiful kitchen -- It has cherry wood cabinets with a lighter backsplash.  I love it and it's just my style.  I'm usually into darker woods, but some of the pictures you posted are just too dark for me.  I don't find them depressing; just too dark.

I also REALLY love the white kitchen that was posted under your pics as well. If I didn't have young children, I would go for that.  Maybe during the next remodel... Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Too dark.  Cozy is cozy - these are not cozy. Not depressing either - just dark.

i would definetly get tired of the dark cabinets. I prefer kitchens to be a bit more bright. I would rather darken it up with countertops rather than the cabinets.

-Texas Hill Country-
Valued Contributor

@lolakimono

Although they're too dark for me, I do like the style of the cabinets in the second picture. The light floor, and light counters, along with the large window above the sink, appears to give it enough light.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

In my reply I'm going to include @Winkk's 'light and bright' photo as #4.

So, here is my 2¢ worth:

#1  I think it's ugly.

#2  I wouldn't want that much black in any space.

#3  The style is not nearly as modern, but this color scheme is like my kitchen. It works because the South wall is all windows, with another one on the East wall.  The room gets flooded with light.  (We couldn't use a quartz countertop because the mica in it 'flashed' in the sunlight.) 

#4  Sorry, winkk, but, IMHO (2¢ worth), it's the design du jour for kitchens, and I generally choose the path less taken. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.