Honored Contributor

When I had my air ducts cleaned, I was surprised that there was no dust in the ducts at all. I was shocked, wasted my money. Change your filters often, vacuum more. Dust comes mostly from skin particles. Use a wash cloth to exfoliate and have the men in your home do the same. Check your dyer vent from the inside to the outside. Could be a clog. Also pull out your dryer lint collector and pull off any fibers. Use door mats, inside and outside and vacuum the inside one, shake out the outside mat, weekly.

Valued Contributor
On 2/21/2015 annabellethecat said:

My house is so dusty my cat is allergic to it. It works though. It helps keep people from wanting to spend the night. I hear, "Wow! You have such a big house with so many bedrooms. Ever have anyone visit you? You live so close to Washington, DC. I'd save money....".

My response, "Well, my house is so dusty even my cat needs an allergist". They get the message.

absolutely ! We don't have air ducts, we have a boiler and radiators. No excuse {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} 4 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms-- I need help to dust this and even that doesn't work. I invited our priest over for coffee and remembered it was too dusty. He said "I'll help you" Too much to ask him to do. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Respected Contributor
I'm much happier now that I don't have glass tables anymore, nor a western exposure that would show every dusty particle on every window when the afternoon sun went down.Drove me nuts !
Honored Contributor

I have a brand, spanking new home that we just had built and yes, I still have dust. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I have dust bunnies nipping at my heels constantly due to living in a woodsy area, and one dog that sheds a coat a day, the other doesn't shed at all, thank goodness. I like windows open so this provides dust galore. I have several vacuums so one is at the ready wherever I am.

Honored Contributor

Dust...the bane of my existence.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

IMO, dust is part of life. I've never seen a home without dust.

Honored Contributor
The master bedroom and bath get the most dust. I think it's because the shades stay closed a lot. The living room and kitchen don't have shades and are not as dusty. That's my theory.
Trusted Contributor

Some areas of the country are more dust prone than others. I lived in a place once that the dust was extremely light colored. It showed up almost as soon as you finished dusting.

Esteemed Contributor

I know you've received many answers to your query, but will thrown in my two bits:

* Do you have forced air heating or A/C? If so, this could possibly be one culprit.

* Do you live near a busy thoroughfare? My SF grandparents moved when I was 10 from a large home near Sigmund Stern Grove to a much smaller home one block off of 19th Avenue in San Francisco. This may not mean much to anyone, but 19th Avenue is a north-south 6 lane street, which is a major artery taking traffic to and through Golden Gate Park and then through the Richmond to the Golden Gate Bridge. The traffic on it is horrendous. My grandmother always said that once they moved, her dust cloth never stopped moving and that she'd never seen dust like it. Seems the dust created by all the traffice 1+ blocks away really was the culprit.

1.5 years ago we retired and relocated to a different state and live in a major city less than 1 block from a major street with 4 lanes of car and bus traffic. I cannot begin to tell you about the amount of dust we have not only in the house, but inside our car. I have to dust the inside of the car at least 3 times a week!

* Do you live near the flight path of planes that take off or land at your local airport? We haven't in the past, but do now and believe that that may contribute to our dust issue. My husband has allergies and has really been sneezing it up since we moved it. Yes, we do have new flora to consider, but I honestly think this dust thing isn't being very kind to him.

Good luck to you in attempting to keep up with the dust devils.