Valued Contributor

Do not fall for that cleaning out your system spiel. My neighbor had that done and had to replace her entire system at $6500. I talked to my husband about that and he said that when the service people do that, they send debris into the system and destroy it.

Valued Contributor

My house had less dust when there were 6 of us plus a dog. Kids must have never let dust settle. lol!

It is now just 2 of us, since our 2 little furbabies died. After they were gone, I was amazed at how much less dust there was, both on the furniture and the floors! As little as they were, I think they dragged a lot of dirt into the house.

I also bought a set of 2 Hunter air cleaners from HSN. They really help! I've had them for about a year.

Remember, the normal part of cleaning used to be to dust the whole house once a day. Not many people do that anymore.

In addition to normal dusting, I used to dust with a wet cloth at least once a week, which I think, makes a big difference.

Frequent Contributor
We always have more dust in the winter. I especially notice it when the temperatures are in the single digits and below zero. Here in the Midwest, it has been extremely cold all week with dangerous wind chills of -30 degrees. I think it is because the furnace is working overtime and the air is drier. We do have a humidifier on the furnace, but I still notice more dust when it is extremely cold.
Super Contributor
On 2/21/2015 fortune said:
On 2/21/2015 imaclotheshog said:

I just changed the bag in my Oreck about a week ago. DH uses the Dyson in our home because it's too hard to push for me, and he cleans out the canister after he uses it. We don't even have a lot of dog hair, he's short haired.{#emotions_dlg.bored}

I think I will call and have the ducts cleaned again. It can't hurt.

Your husband or the dog?

{#emotions_dlg.lol} Both! lol

Super Contributor

Smile Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it. I guess it doesn't matter where you live, home or highrise apartment, different heating and cooling systems, etc.-- dust is just there. Some really good things here to think about. I have hired cleaning ladies in the past to help me out but I didn't feel they did any better than I could at the time. I don't think the cleaning products they used are any better than mine.

I would like to purchase one of those little backpack vacuums though, those seem lightweight and so easy to use! I think they would be especially helpful, with dusting drapes and window sills, etc. even under the furniture.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it is thick! We do leave our windows open a lot. Also, I live in California and we do not have AC, we run the whole house fan at night. We also have windows open a lot, even in Winter (it is 75 today). I live in a small valley with mountains on both sides. The wind picks up each day for an hour. I am sure we have half of the outside, inside our home! My house is picked up, and appears clean But the housekeepers spend most of their time dusting!

Respected Contributor

I have a lot of dust. My house looks much nicer on cloudy days. Then the sun comes out and

Respected Contributor

What do you dust with? Swiffer dusters pick up and trap the dust. And how often do you dust? I dust once a week - that seems to be the key to keeping it under control.

Valued Contributor

2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 adults + arid climate = dust. Before the housekeeppers leave, dust has already made its way inside. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

My house is so dusty my cat is allergic to it. It works though. It helps keep people from wanting to spend the night. I hear, "Wow! You have such a big house with so many bedrooms. Ever have anyone visit you? You live so close to Washington, DC. I'd save money....".

My response, "Well, my house is so dusty even my cat needs an allergist". They get the message.