Super Contributor
On 2/21/2015 Reba055 said: YES! It's awful. I don't know what the answer is either. I'm allergic to dust among other things and it's just a losing battle. I swear I can dust and walk back by 30 mins later and dust has already started to settle again. When my allergies get really bad I break out the shark with all the attachments and vacuum everything, and I mean EVERYthing! What a pain.

DH is allergic to dust also. He buys those allergy filters but I am not sure those help at all.

Super Contributor
On 2/21/2015 PeterDM said:

I don't think you have a problem. It's common to see a little bit of dust the next day. If you're only dusting once a week, you're in the norm.

You think so? Thanks. I just can never seem to keep those little dust particles off my furniture!

I guess it shows up more on my glass top table. I don't notice it as much on the other furniture.

Honored Contributor

Any paper products (paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex etc) makes dust.

Trusted Contributor
On 2/21/2015 imaclotheshog said:
On 2/21/2015 PeterDM said:

I don't think you have a problem. It's common to see a little bit of dust the next day. If you're only dusting once a week, you're in the norm.

You think so? Thanks. I just can never seem to keep those little dust particles off my furniture!

I guess it shows up more on my glass top table. I don't notice it as much on the other furniture.

Glass surfaces are the worst. I had a glass coffee table and end tables in an apartment I lived in when I was in my 20's and it was insane how often I used to dust them. They'd show dust literally within an hour of cleaning them. I think glass just shows dust more than other surfaces because the dust on the glass is obstructing your view of the area underneath.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in the woods. I have dust and more dust. I have to keep on top of it or else it gets really bad.

Honored Contributor

My home is extremely dusty too. Every morning when get up, there is a layer of dust visible on my black smooth top stove and it is very noticable on the handles and crannies of my dishwasher and fridge.

I clean all of my kitchen appliance when I do the dishes at night and have to clean them again in the morning.

My glass top tables are dusty too as well as my furniture. I dust my main floor at least once a day. I dust the second floor of my home at least once a week, sometimes more. No one goes up there but me and DH.

I have had my vents cleaned and I use a Dyson to vacuum. I run a dust mop across my hardwood floors every morning too. My house is just dusty...reason unknown.

I have an RV parked permanently near a lake where we go for the summer. We close it up for the winter. When we open it up in the spring, there is hardly any dirt or dust at all.

I guess it depends on where you live. There are a few factories and a steel mill within 10 miles of our house.

Respected Contributor
On 2/21/2015 imaclotheshog said:

I just changed the bag in my Oreck about a week ago. DH uses the Dyson in our home because it's too hard to push for me, and he cleans out the canister after he uses it. We don't even have a lot of dog hair, he's short haired.{#emotions_dlg.bored}

I think I will call and have the ducts cleaned again. It can't hurt.

Your husband or the dog?

Respected Contributor
On 2/21/2015 Carmie said:

My home is extremely dusty too. Every morning when get up, there is a layer of dust visible on my black smooth top stove and it is very noticable on the handles and crannies of my dishwasher and fridge.

I clean all of my kitchen appliance when I do the dishes at night and have to clean them again in the morning.

My glass top tables are dusty too as well as my furniture. I dust my main floor at least once a day. I dust the second floor of my home at least once a week, sometimes more. No one goes up there but me and DH.

I have had my vents cleaned and I use a Dyson to vacuum. I run a dust mop across my hardwood floors every morning too. My house is just dusty...reason unknown.

I have an RV parked permanently near a lake where we go for the summer. We close it up for the winter. When we open it up in the spring, there is hardly any dirt or dust at all.

I guess it depends on where you live. There are a few factories and a steel mill within 10 miles of our house.

Good point. My SIL also said that when they moved into a development with only a few homes that their problem with dust got much better. She thought because there was much less traffic stirring up dust while driving by. That sorta makes sense. No matter how airtight your house is, it will get in. We have quite a bit of drive by traffic in my subdivision. I dunno but I'm getting tired of it. Maybe I'm older, home more, and just notice it more, lol.
Respected Contributor

I used to have these great air cleaners (Hunter) that just gobbled up the dust. It was amazing. Had to buy filters and paid about $240/year for 3 cleaners. They died after 10 years and are no longer available anywhere. People were complaining about the cost of the replacement filters.

Have gotten other brands, but so far they haven't been effective at all. Will order some

Oransi. The reviews are great. Hope they work.

Valued Contributor

We have a ton of dust at our home and it's really frustrating. I had the vents cleaned by a reputable company and they said they were pretty clean, go figure.

I use a lot of microfiber cloths to clean but all this dust has given me a lot of extra work. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it.