Honored Contributor
I live on the edge of the desert in an area that has lots of high winds plus new construction. I have a xeriscaped large yard and four big long-haired dogs. Part of the gravel is fine crushed filled with lots of dirt that blows in. I've seen my Aussie roll on her back on it, then come in the house and shake. Even my dishes and pots and pans in the cupboards get dusty. I laugh hysterically when someone mentions black granite...what a nightmare that would be. Yes, I have dust.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I have read that dust mainly is dead skin cells, mites and bacteria. I would think that would be worse in the winter. Maybe you need to get a humidifier to help your skin be less dry so it would shed off fewer cells. Otherwise lotion up a lot more. Can't hurt.

Respected Contributor
On 2/21/2015 seniorcitizen said:

I have read that dust mainly is dead skin cells, mites and bacteria. I would think that would be worse in the winter. Maybe you need to get a humidifier to help your skin be less dry so it would shed off fewer cells. Otherwise lotion up a lot more. Can't hurt.

Ewww, yuck. Didn't need to see that. I hope I don't have that much dead skin, lol! I'm in FL and have something that reads humidity and it's good so that's not my issue. Don't doubt what you are saying either. Just yuck. :-)
Honored Contributor
On 2/21/2015 Kachina624 said: I live on the edge of the desert in an area that has lots of high winds plus new construction. I have a xeriscaped large yard and four big long-haired dogs. Part of the gravel is fine crushed filled with lots of dirt that blows in. I've seen my Aussie roll on her back on it, then come in the house and shake. Even my dishes and pots and pans in the cupboards get dusty. I laugh hysterically when someone mentions black granite...what a nightmare that would be. Yes, I have dust.

Oh, and those Aussies have lots of hair but they are my all time favorite breed of dog{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Super Contributor

I COMPLETELY understand this problem! We have 2 dogs and it's just my husband and me...and the dust. YIKES! It is a chronic problem, and I do my best to make things liveable and presentable but, alas....a never-ending issue. I would so love to be Samantha from "Bewitched" or Jeannie from "I Dream of Jeannie"! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

I'm having the same problem. I keep my slider open all day (into the night) - and think that's largely responsible. I have a 2-story, corner house. I believe it has a lot to do with the surrounding area - and the way the house faces. Years ago, I owned a single-story house that seldom got dusty. There was a hill behind my house and the slider opened to the side of my backyard where my fence was. It wasn't as open to the elements.

Honored Contributor
On 2/21/2015 imaclotheshog said:

He said just use higher quality filters, not the cheap ones. We already do that. DH buys the ones that are supposed to be the best for keeping allergens out of your home.

Interesting. My HVAC guy said to buy the cheap ones, give a light spray with PAM, pop them in, and change them out once a month. He said you're better off to change them more often and use the cheaper ones.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
On 2/21/2015 seniorcitizen said:

I don't really think so. We put in new windows and the dust almost disappeared. Same people and pet inside; less outside air blowing pollen, etc.

Respected Contributor

I'm no help. I keep my windows open year-round so I'm accustomed to seeing a layer of dust on every flat surface. There's no way I could keep my house dust-free.

Honored Contributor
I have dark wood furniture in my bedroom. I dust every couple of days. All my glass tables get dusted every couple days too. We don't even have pets. I hate dust. It accumulates so fast