Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

The OP is talking about drain flies, NOT fruit flies. They are different. Drain flies like the gunk accumulated in the drains from soap, hair, etc. Fruit flies like the fruit scent from decaying fruit. So the posters who said to block up the unusued drains and/or using the vinegar and baking soda method is the one to kill the flies in the drain. The dishes of sugar water and soap won't help drain flies.

Honored Contributor

I keep drain flies away by pouring salt in the kitchen drains at night.   

We pour peroxide on our toothbrushes after we brush, and pour more in the bathroom sink drains, which takes care of the problems there.   

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the tip the plumber gave me---pour a few drops of (blue) Dawn dish detergent in a bucket and fill with hot tap water. Pour it down the drain. Repeat two times. 

This can be done weekly or monthly or as needed. 

Works for me on the laundry drain.  

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop  That's something I never heard of but will definitely try. 

I also rinse my toothbrush with peroxide 2X/day after brushing.  Any "eyeball" amt you use down the drain?

Also, any "eyeball" amt of salt you use?  Many thanks!!

Trusted Contributor

@Fressa   Thank you.  I will try that.  I put Dawn on my shopping list this week!!

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr  Thanks so much!  I'm doing that right now!!

Honored Contributor
@pdlinda
I pour 1/4 cup salt in both sides of my kitchen sink. Probably close to the same amount of peroxide down the bathroom drain. The key is to keep the water and soap scum in the trap from stagnating and providing the environment drain flies like. Same issue with our washer drains.