Honored Contributor

DIANE KEATON'S FORMER 1928 SPANISH REVIVAL HOUSE

hbx040120madeleinestuart-010-copy-1582836219.jpg

Fellow design hounds, do you remember seeing this featured in maybe, "Architectural Digest" or somewhere, years ago?  Not only did Diane Keaton own it, but, more exciting to me, it was once the "Orson Welles" house!!!  Wonder if he had it while married to Rita Hayworth...

Anyway, I usually enjoy Spanish colonial or revival, esp. in California, but from the jump had mixed feelings about this one.  Not like another Hollywood actor-owned Spanish house, the former "Ellen Pompeo/ young Ronald Reagan house"-- that one I loved almost unreservedly.

Here's the newest version of "Keaton/Welles",  designed by Madeleine Stuart:

hbx040120madeleinestuart-007-copy-1582835679.jpg

This living room is a bit problematic to me.  It could have been so great!  But to me there are too many spindly legs and smaller, fussy details.  This kind of openness needs a bolder approach.  Needs 'softening' too.

hbx040120madeleinestuart-009-copy-1582836373.jpg

On the other hand, I love this study!  The furniture, floor, chunky bookcases, the lighting.  The whites in the house are Benjamin Moore "White Dove" (which is softer, less stark than it photographs.). Whenever you see dark, painted trim, as opposed to natural wood-- it is a brown-black of the designer's concoction, that she calls "obsidian".

hbx040120madeleinestuart-004-copy-1582836109.jpg

Light filled dining area with nice view of garden.

tondro-hb-madelinestuart-breakfasttable-copy-1582837424.jpg

Enviable studio for the owner, who is an artist.

tondro-hb-madelinestuart-studio-copy-1582837481.jpg

Drama in the bathroom.  Very vintage, but "cold".  I like the movie star portrait, sconces and unlacquered brass.

hbx040120madeleinestuart-011-copy-1582836600.jpg

Am surprised I don't "hate" the kitchen!  There's enough light coming in to keep it bright.  Although not my taste, here the black and white strikes me as crisp, and it's just nice to see a kitchen that doesn't automatically default to white subway tile...  Colorful pottery in the glass front cabinets would have been a good touch.

hbx040120madeleinestuart-005-copy-1582836047.jpg

The riotous vintage tiles on the breakfast bar are holdovers from Diane Keaton's tenure.  She collected them.  I'm rather surprised the new owners decided to keep them-- but look what a conversation starter they have when guests are lolling around the kitchen!  "Guess who collected and installed these antique tiles...."tondro-hb-madelinestuart-kitchentile-copy-1582836804.jpg

Don't care for the master bedroom--  heavy looking?

hbx040120madeleinestuart-002-copy-1582836507.jpg

I like this one better.

tondro-hb-madelinestuart-guestbedrm2-copy-1582837572.jpg

Pretty covered patio.  But I'm not really fond of the severely geometric openings in the roof--  too regimented and "busy" looking for a supposedly relaxing space.  Is that quibbling?  Ha.

hbx040120madeleinestuart-001-copy-1582836278.jpg

Well, as you can see, I for one, am not overwhelmed-- even though aspects of the house are nice.  It is interesting, certainly, based on those 'Hollywood past' owners.

Not sure why, but I have a feeling the photos don't do it justic, and it might be improved in real life. 

Respected Contributor

Re: DIANE KEATON'S FORMER 1928 SPANISH REVIVAL HOUSE

@Oznell   I hope you’re right and photos do not do it justice as it is a little disappointing for me.

Funnily enough I really like the two bedrooms best!  Living room definitely ‘too spindly’ and bathroom really austere.  I like the dark floor in the kitchen.  Study and dining area are very nice.

I guess with its history I expected more and would like to have seen it ‘before’ - but very interesting viewing.  Thanks for posting.

Trusted Contributor

Not my style but I do like the kitchen layout.  Wonder what the price was?? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The home certainly has an old Hollywood vibe. I can see where Diane Keaton would have been attracted to a(n) historically accurate style. If it's for sale, I imagine there will be offers, especially given the previous ownership.

Honored Contributor

I agree with most of what you say, Oznell.  I am not a fan of the living room at all.  I love the space of the room but would have to restyle it with different furnishings and decor with the exception of the blue chairs. The desk and chair in the study are very appealing but that is it.  I love the bedrooms especially the one with the velvet couch! Also the carpeting in both bedrooms are stand outs, love!  The dining area needs a perk up, I do like the idea of all the doors leading out to the gardens.  The kitchen is nice and I love all the colorful tiles Keaton collected.  With the exception of the ceiling the covered  patio is warm and inviting and comfortable looking.  In general I do like the house but would have to make changes especially in the living room.

Honored Contributor

I agree with you about the living room being too "spindly," but wonder if it's the angle of the photo.  I'll bet that room looks much better in person.

I do like the master bedroom but wouldn't have chosen that shade of red velvet for the couch. 

The artist who lives there now is very good.  That's a beautiful painting!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Light filled dining area with nice view of garden.

hbx040120madeleinestuart-005-copy-1582836047.jpg

I am all about the double stove.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

absolutely does nothing for me, just a collection of furniture in a Spanish style house. I don't know if a designer put this together but to me it just doesn't work.

I just hope it looks a lot better in person.

Honored Contributor

I like it.  I even love some of it.

Honored Contributor

Me likey! I like it a lot, except for the 1st bedroom and the bath...Otherwise I like it! The kitchen probably isn't 100% my style but for this style home I really do like it!