Honored Contributor

Re: DH wants to move and I don't, house is a disaster, HELP

[ Edited ]

@MildredM 

I can't see that you've returned to read the responses to your post.

My guess is that you and your spouse will continue as you are.  As you stated, you've been in this situation for 25 years.  Most people do not make substantive life changes after that long a time.

Wishing you the best.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

I know you love your home, but sooner or later it will become a huge money pit and you will live in a place where nothing works. You will be frustrated and depressed. I would move to a smaller, newer home that is your dream home. I put the emphasis on new because if your husband wouldn't fix anything for 25 years, he will never do so. Please do not get a fixer upper unless you want history to repeat itself. Your dream home should include a place where you can call your own and get away from him when you want to.

Sometimes you have to give in a little in order to get what you truly want. I wish you the best.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post advice for me. The range of the replies was very enlightening to me. I expected some harsh comments as that goes hand and hand with posting on a forum. 

To answer a few questions:

-No carpet, just 4 types of increasingly ugly tile and the old style laminate. 

-No grass just gravel and desert trees and plants. Very low maintenance. Once a year landscape professionals come to skin the palm trees, trim back the trees and bushes, etc. This is standard for desert landscaping. My neighbors do the same. The yard is not unkept at all, the city is very strict.

-The house looks like the other original houses in the subdivision. We do need a new mailbox and some touch up paint to the facia.The main complaint is that my DH leaves the hoses out and the irrigation lines stick up too far. 

-I spoke to my next door neighbor and she has also received complaints about her similar desert landscaping. One person went to her house and demanded she plant trees along the street outside her block wall because he didn't like the way it looked. I found this very bazaar and she was very frightened.

-the house is a ranch all on one level so no stairs.

-Yes, it makes perfect sense that real estate/builders are making the negative comments. It is not our fault they overbuilt a house at the back of the subdivision that is more than double the value of the other new builds and ugly to boot. One complaint is that they didn't want their clients to drive past our house to get to one for sale.

-Yes, we need new kitchen and bath remodels along with new flooring. I do get new appliances when needed. I wanted a gas cooktop and there is gas to the house for the water heater which is on the ajoining wall to the kitchen. It turned into a much bigger deal then it warranted. We settled on induction which I do like but it hums. Yes, we are both strong willed. Yes, our finances would allow it.

I do see that I am dug in and so is my DH. I expect nothing will be agreed upon anytime in the near future. The thought of packing up all the stuff and having to dispose of my dining room set and other furniture so we can fit into a smaller house does make me depressed. I also watch too much HGTV and suffer from remodeling envy.

Respected Contributor

You don't have to do remodels with resell in mind. If you want it and like the look then do it. I don't use my home as a financial loss or gain. It is a place where we raised our family and made memories.  Remodeling for resale never even entered the picture.  So if you want a new kitchen and bath, hire someone to do it. I agree with those that say your husband is just making it difficult for you.  This is his way of getting you out.

Esteemed Contributor

If you made up your mind already to live in the same manner, why ask for advice? Many gave their opinions, but you seem very set on staying in your home, with no renovations. So why is this even a question??

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow. A lot going on for the OP.

I guess I just don't understand people who hold on to a house that no longer works for them. I have family members, mom and DD who are also living in what once was a very stately home in a still super desirable location. They have been there for over 60 years. Money for upkeep ran out decades ago. It's literally falling apart around them, like the OP's. DD says that when 90+ year old mom passes that other family members will sell their house nearby and they will all live together in this place and combine funds to fix it up. The combined ages of the 3 people would be 195, with the youngest of the 3 now being over 60. Why??

I cannot for the life of me grasp why anyone would want to spend their remaining years even thinking about a major rehab of their home. It's a big, beautiful world out there. Find something else to love.

In addition, this house is vulnerable to crime and requires a security system, to be used at all times. The property taxes are also off the chain, even for this high tax state, largely due to location and easy commute to NYC and a superior school district.

I have moved 4 times in almost as many decades as my life has changed. Modest starter home, McMansion, downsized after divorce and second downsize as an empty nester. 

After reading the OP, I am happy to be living single. What mama wants, momma gets, especially in my home.

Trusted Contributor

Personally, I couldn't live like like that.  If you want something done, hire someone to do it and the h*ll with the husband.  What's he going to say? And if he has a comment, I don't think I'd really care at that point.  If you've been "married" for 25 years, your'e old enough to make your own decisions. 

Honored Contributor

@MildredM wrote:

I've gotten hate mail that our house is bringing down property values in the neighborhood.

So for the last 15 years he has let the maintenance of the house slip and has not had things (except roof and air conditioners) repaired or replaced. For example, I  lived with a cracked enameled kitchen faucet for 5 yrs by wrapping tape around it. It got so bad that I was tempted to run the outdoor hose though the kitchen window to have water. 

These are the 2 things which really stuck out to me.

If there’s ‘meh’ on the inside, I would think that attitude translates

to the outside, as well (thus the hate mail). 

Of course there’s 2 sides to every story.

If it’s bad, it could be really bad.

Like ‘get an inspector out there & they deem it unhabitable’ type of bad.

The person buying will be buying for the lot, not the ‘nothing has been

done for 25 years’ house.   Move.  

Respected Contributor

how/why it got to this point is over.  

TODAY, would/could you buy this house and rehab it? 

make pro and cons list , dig deep and consider everything.  physical, mental, financial, etc

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

@MildredM wrote:

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post advice for me. The range of the replies was very enlightening to me. I expected some harsh comments as that goes hand and hand with posting on a forum. 

To answer a few questions:

-No carpet, just 4 types of increasingly ugly tile and the old style laminate. 

-No grass just gravel and desert trees and plants. Very low maintenance. Once a year landscape professionals come to skin the palm trees, trim back the trees and bushes, etc. This is standard for desert landscaping. My neighbors do the same. The yard is not unkept at all, the city is very strict.

-The house looks like the other original houses in the subdivision. We do need a new mailbox and some touch up paint to the facia.The main complaint is that my DH leaves the hoses out and the irrigation lines stick up too far. 

-I spoke to my next door neighbor and she has also received complaints about her similar desert landscaping. One person went to her house and demanded she plant trees along the street outside her block wall because he didn't like the way it looked. I found this very bazaar and she was very frightened.

-the house is a ranch all on one level so no stairs.

-Yes, it makes perfect sense that real estate/builders are making the negative comments. It is not our fault they overbuilt a house at the back of the subdivision that is more than double the value of the other new builds and ugly to boot. One complaint is that they didn't want their clients to drive past our house to get to one for sale.

-Yes, we need new kitchen and bath remodels along with new flooring. I do get new appliances when needed. I wanted a gas cooktop and there is gas to the house for the water heater which is on the ajoining wall to the kitchen. It turned into a much bigger deal then it warranted. We settled on induction which I do like but it hums. Yes, we are both strong willed. Yes, our finances would allow it.

I do see that I am dug in and so is my DH. I expect nothing will be agreed upon anytime in the near future. The thought of packing up all the stuff and having to dispose of my dining room set and other furniture so we can fit into a smaller house does make me depressed. I also watch too much HGTV and suffer from remodeling envy.

@MildredM   I have a theory in life that people by and large do what they want to do.  So to me it seems, please forgive me, that you and your husband are far more happy arguing than doing something about this issue.

I cannot see any reasonable explanation for living in a house in such bad repair that the neighbors complain when one if able to do something about it.   Or living with outmoded rooms that need a re-do to be good to live with, and so forth.

So let me toss out this point:  Is it simply fear that somebody will "win?"  If so let me say that I feel sure that any house you would choose to move to will have SOME things that you don't like, so you all can continue to fuss and blame one another should you get up the gumption to move.  And maybe you two would be "happy" with that.

I knew a couple like that.  Actually they did live in a house that sounds a lot like yours and the quarrled a lot about various things to do with the house.  However, I feel confident that had they moved and been more comfortable, they would have still been happier with their quarreling than staying where they were.

I myself can't fathom staying where the neighbors complain about your house when you are perfectly able financially to do otherwise.  

And moving is no exuse because many of those small moving companies are wonderful and will move you room by room, pack and unpack and it isn't THAT expensive considering. 

I hope I haven't hurt your feelings, but I am being completely honest because I have seen this once from some relatives of mine.  Sounds exactly like your situation except the outside of the house was one of the nicer ones in town.