Respected Contributor

Re: DESIGNER'S OWN COLOR-FILLED APARTMENT

I bought a lot of Jasperware/Wedgewood at estate sales decades ago and someone gave me a vintage lamp that is beautiful. 

That's a busy design and probably cost a fortune.

Honored Contributor

@QVCisFun wrote:

This thread brings to mind a colorful home of architect and interior designer Sig Bergamin:

Sig Bergamin's Vibrant Home in Brazil | Architectural Digest

@QVCisFun 

That room scares me.

Honored Contributor

@QVCisFun wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

I think this is the same room, in a slightly different arrangement, when she had these richly burnt orange, Christopher Spitzmiller lamps:

AND_1326_1.jpg

Love her fireplace area.  All of her club chairs and ottomans look so comfortable, too--

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 12.45.43 PM.png

Stunning plaster mirror,  paired with exquisitely simple silver lanterns...

AND_1326_36.jpg

Really like those glossy burnt-orange lamps.  And the Wedgewood Jasperware.  Came across the below photo that appears to be a long view of the living room.  In the reflection of the tall mirror next to the bookcase, can see part of what looks like the plaster-framed mirror on the opposite fireplace wall (and in an above photo can see the reflection of the bookcase in the plaster-framed mirror):

Interior Designer Amanda Nisbet's Jewel-Toned Co-op Asks a Precious $4.45M | | Observer

@QVCisFun @Oznell 

ON closer inspection, I would not like the different period mixes done here.  They do not play well with one another.  It looks like the effects of several garage and tag sales, impulse buying that did not work once it was put together.  I love the Louis chairs.  Oznell, are those Louis XIV.  I cannot remember all those monarchs and their periods.

Honored Contributor

I always get the "Louis" chairs mixed up too, @Nonametoday .   Sometimes I think that 14th was the more ornate one, and 16th was the least ornate one, but then wonder if it is vice versa, ha.   @ECBG is the reliable source for that stuff!

Super Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I always get the "Louis" chairs mixed up too, @Nonametoday .   Sometimes I think that 14th was the more ornate one, and 16th was the least ornate one, but then wonder if it is vice versa, ha.   @ECBG is the reliable source for that stuff!

@Nonametoday @Oznell @ECBG :  I don't know anything about Louis chairs, but you got me curious so I looked up some information.

I read that the easiest way to tell the difference between the Louis XIV, XV, and XVI chairs is to look at the legs.  And if I read correctly, the Louis XIV chair style has baluster-shaped ornate legs with H or X-shaped stretchers between the legs, the Louis XV chair style has S-shaped legs in the cabriole leg style, and the Louis XVI chair style has straight column-like, tapered fluted legs.

If that is a Louis style chair in the photo, maybe it is a Louis XV because of the cabriole legs?
Honored Contributor

@QVCisFun 

You have it!  It sometimes changes to the backs of the chairs from when craftsmen began mixing them up.  I told mt students the XV had a curve like the number 5 and the XVI had a straight line like the number 6.

I taught Interior Design and wrote state curriculum if I can help.  I'm here several times a day.  I'm convalescing from falling down the steps.

Honored Contributor

My worst nightmare.  It looks like a paint store exploded.  Simply awful to me.

I like a home filled with neutrals (lots of cushy pieces, some leather and enough texture to be interesting), soft blues and light peach colors, creamy white woodwork with some dark stained pieces.

Traditional.  Low key and restful.  Color is from my books on their numerous bookcases and in the dark wood office.  Come home to peace and comfort from a chaotic world.

Honored Contributor

According to 1st Dibs who is really an expert in period furnishings, this is a Louis XV.  Thank all of you for your research and expertise in this.  The "real McCoy" is so expensive I would never be able to afford one anyway and I would not want any of the Sears (who used to carry reproduction furnishings back in the 1960-70s)  look-alikes.  So I am happy to admire others' pieces.  Maybe some of you will be lucky enough one day to find a tag sale, garage sale, or a little consignment store which has the real one and the onwer/seller is not aware of what it is and you will find later you have a $35,000 chair.

Honored Contributor

They say that burnt orange is making a huge comeback.......

Last late afternoon we just discovered a house in our neighborhood is being painted burnt orange.  

I'm not so sure about exterior burnt orange, but we'll soon see the completed house result. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Update:  Just walked by the burnt orange house today.

The brightness of the bright burnt orange has toned down overnight. 

It might have been wet paint yesterday late afternoon.

One side of the house is painted, so far.

A couple of their neighbors have been wondering about the final result.   

I'm on a 'positive' train of thought.

Years ago, there was a house in our neighborhood when folks weren't too happy while it was being painted.  

Sort of classic retro Victorian in a few semi-colorful colors. 

Since that time, it has been one of my favorites.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).