Honored Contributor

DESIGNER PHOEBE HOWARD'S "RIVER HOUSE"

After the simpler "farmhouse" look she did, I thought this one would be fun.  It shows her more 'urban' mode, with touches of glamour and nods to Art Deco (love the ceiling light in this entryway, for example.)  And look at that floor.

rh-4.png

Again, maybe not completely or explicitly Art Deco, but that Thirties' influence is glamorously present.  This sumptuous house reminds me of a 21st century version of a house Jean Harlow or Claudette Colbert or Carole Lombard would live in in one of those "madcap heiress" movies:

She had titled this "River House" on her site, and that drew me b/c it seems like often in houses near a river, the light has a special luminous, shimmery quality (reflecting off the water?). Might be imagining it, but to me the light in this house has that wavery, magical quality...

Oooh, this library or whatever it is, is just my speed, cozy paneling, staircase, sinkable upholstery, oxblood lamps and all!

Love the chunky (leather?) rhino next to the chair...and that window, of course.

And love the surprise of the pool room at the very end!  Looks to be in the attic, maybe.

There were other fabulous rooms, quite a few of them, but I think these give the gist of this "river house".  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DESIGNER PHOEBE HOWARD'S "RIVER HOUSE"

Fairy tale beautiful!

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

What a beautiful home. Perfectly done.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell love all rooms

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

I like the inlaid parquet floor in the hallway with the chest.

The kitchen is wonderful (to me) except for the squared-off edges of the marble island.

Love the unique window shapes throughout.

Love the pale pink paint in a bedroom.

Love the billiard room.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ That hall library with the leather hippo!

That whole area is decorated to my taste and I could live in (Maybe?) 

Thanks for posting this.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

that's a beautiful home!  i love the room with the 'sinkable' furniture, and that's about the only room i could live in.   also  love the kitchen even though it's totally not my style.  

Honored Contributor

Change the red sofa to peachy pink and move me right in!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell What an eye pleaser!  I am mad for the entry foyer!  It is exquisite!  The detail amazing from the crown and dentil molding to the floor.  The floor is a work of art!  It took many man hours to achieve this look.  It is all stained by hand, no inserts.  The design is achieved by taping off the designs.  If you look carefully you can see the "seams" running through.  It is achieved by taping off the design and staining each section individually.  The entire floor was striped to bring out the lightest color which is the overall color of the entire floor.  The next stain applied is the medium color which is the inside color of each the large square.  A slightly darker stain is added to the stripes and diamond pattern and the final stain is the darkest and then it is sealed.  Hours and hours of work went into this.  It takes a true craftsman to achieve this look, to say nothing of the cost.  I love the chest as well, I think it's burl biedermeier chest.

What a spectacular entry foyer!  Thanks so much for posting!  Made my day!

rh-1.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

It's not my style but, for the most part, is very nicely done.  I LOVE that wooden inlay floor in the entryway....WOW!!!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I love this!!!! I also would love to get my hands on all of those books in the reading room....I would be found in there for sure. I love this!