Honored Contributor

DESIGNER BILL STUBBS ON BLUE-AND-WHITE CHINA

snapshot.jpg

Veteran Houston designer Bill Stubbs gives a short but fascinating little mini-tour through the world of blue-and- white.

I love that he briefly touches on all kinds, including Delft ware and Blue Willow, as well as showing us priceless examples of classic chinoiserie.

This guy has such a charming, engaging style.  I don't watch "Good Morning, America",  nor have I seen the many other shows he's been on, but I just find him to be a delightful teacher and enthusiast.

Love his grandparents' Dutch boy bottle, and his collection of discarded blue-and-white lids, which he resourcefully displays as a collection in a clear glass bowl.

Well worth the watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHIzkcJvw9A

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DESIGNER BILL STUBBS ON BLUE-AND-WHITE CHINA

@Oznell : I just missed out on a set of blue & white china on Marketplace. Waited too long. I was fortunate to pick up four 6 piece place settings of Johnson Brothers Old Britain Castles in red (pink) for $12.00 at thrift. Same idea, different color

I have always been a pushover for china. I use it for as long as I like, then donate it.

I also recently picked up a set of 4 Bernardaud & Co.Limoges dinner plates and vegetable bowl as well as Queen Anne English bone china.plates.

You will never see paper plates or paper napkins on any table of mine as long as beautiful china is plentiful and inexpensive.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for this video.  I am a fan of blue and white china, something I came to in my later years.

I recently purchased a very little Portmeirion flowered teapot on Etsy.  The lid has a tiny teapot, teacup, and sugar bowl fixed on it.  How could I resist?  That’s always my excuse.

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed the video. I also have some blue and white pieces. They look good just about anywhere. Always checking for an other piece.

Honored Contributor

He has some stunning pieces and I was fascinated by the one he glued together.  He kept it because he loved the piece.  Many people would have thrown it away knowing the value wasn't there.   Everything looked so lovely and I enjoyed the video!

Honored Contributor

@queendiva,  love 'Old Britain Castles', especially festive in the pink!

@PamfromCT,  what a whimsical teapot-- irresistable indeed! Portmeirion is a favorite.

@Catiele,  you are absolutely right about them fitting in virtually anywhere.  I have only a few pieces-- the first old ginger jar I got in a little antique shop decades ago, and the last, a sizable jar I got on Amazon.  They look fab together.

@spiderw,  I love that story too, of him laboriously glueing that platter all back together--  a work of love, and paid off handsomely in enjoyment. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Yes, indeed, it was well worth the watch!  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have found that I can use different colors of blue in my new decor as long as it's not too bright and white.  With that said, the Chinese charger plate and the Double Happiness jar really appeal to me.  I also really liked the Transfer Wear bowl shown with it.  I have been looking for something that is not too bright white and blue and wouldn't be real expensive.  I put way more money in my sofa pillows than I had intended to so I'm trying to be a bit more frugal on other items.  DH gave me a dozen apricot color roses and a $100 bill for Mother's Day.  Your post has given me some ideas.........Hmmmmm!

Valued Contributor

He has such a calming voice, and his collection is obviously a passion.  I enjoyed this video.  I have always been drawn to blue and white china, but I rarely see it for sale when I go antiquing.  I ended up buying this set of modern blue and white dinnerware that features birds, and it can go in the dishwasher.  This dinnerware makes me smile every time I use it (and I found it at the home depot of all places).

.blue china.JPG

Honored Contributor

Oh, @jubilant ,  what a sweet hubby and I know you'll find something great with your windfall.  Blue and white, if you end up going in that direction,  would be so nice with your palette...

@Glittergal,  thank you so much for sharing your dreamy china-- and to think that it's practical enough to go in the dishwasher, big bonus!   I love it, and also love the presence of birds.  Just one of my pieces has birds, and that makes it extra enchanting to me....