Honored Contributor

D I C K CAVETT'S "TICK HALL" HOUSE IN MONTAUK FOR SALE

[ Edited ]

960x0.jpg

He'd owned this beauty for decades and decades, a legendary house on eastern Long Island, originally designed by the famed Stanford White architectural firm. (Yes, that Stanford White, of the notorious murder triangle.)

Harry-Thaw-Kills-Stanford-White-Newspaper-Story-1906-e1592336679253.jpg

"Tick Hall" (hilarious name) burned to the ground in 1997, but Cavett and his late wife, actress Carrie Nye, had an almost exact replica rebuilt on the ruins, so loath were they to lose such a beautiful landmark in shingle style.  There's a documentary that chronicles that meticulous undertaking.

Design fans have been treated to its interiors, original and rebuilt, in mags over the years-- I've seen the rooms in at least 3 or 4 mags-- but it's a thrill every time.

8_cavett_s_cove_garden_4_corcoran_gary_depersia_photo_credi1.jpg

Look at this glimpse of one of the house's original showpieces, that memorable "fretwork" wall.  (I forget the architectural name for it, but it's a marvel, even rebuilt.)

176-Deforest-Montauk-For-Sale-staircase.jpg

Here's the stair hall, before it was presumably "de-cluttered" by the real estate people.  Carrie Nye, a delightfully eccentric actress, was from Mississippi, and apparently had boatloads of family antiques that she hauled up to Long Island.... and a very romantic, baroque taste in house interiors...

33854-Tick-Hall-Staircase-692x1024.jpg

This sitting room has been breezily "beach-i-fied".

Montauk-beach-house-living-room.jpg

Dining room staged to sell:

Now, here's the same dining room with the Cavetts' things.  I remember Carrie Nye airily announcing something like, "I've always believed kitchens should be red, and dining rooms yellow".

33843-Tick-Hall-Dining-Room-825x1024.jpg

Even the kitchen has incredible views.  Love herringbone brick floors, even though my poor feet don't:

W3i7jgdw.jpeg

33846-Tick-Hall-Kitchen-787x1024.jpg

I think the realtors went a little too far in "depersonalizing" this bedroom.  But that could be easily fixed.

176-Deforest-Montauk-for-sale-guest-bedroom.jpg

This bedroom seems to express the spirit of the house a bit better:

Before the advent of "stagers",   this was the quirky bedroom the Cavetts had reserved for elusive, brilliant fiction writer Jean Stafford, a beloved pal of theirs.  There's her photo on the right:

33853-Tick-Hall-Red-Bedroom-858x1024.jpg

They decorated the bedroom's bath to match.  Now it's all white, of course!

33840-Tick-Hall-Bathroom-791x1024.jpg

Cozy attic nook hideaway:

33856-Tick-Hall-Third-Floor-791x1024.jpg

5_cavett_s_cove_bed_master_deck_corcoran_gary_depersia_phot1.jpg

Pond with rocks and birches...

33850-Tick-Hall-Pool-1024x779.jpg

Overview:

960x0.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: D I C K CAVETT'S "TICK HALL" HOUSE IN MONTAUK FOR SALE

I like everything about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell How fantastic!  I so agree with you that what the "stagers" did was ignore the style of the home, modern doesn't do it for me in such a magnificent setting.  I remember Carrie and I could happily live there as she styled it.  Respect the architecture of the home.  Thanks for posting.  

Respected Contributor

👍

Honored Contributor

Beautiful home, architecture, and views! Love the large porches! 

I like most of the rooms and furnishings. Not a fan of the red wall paint in the bed & bath. 

Respected Contributor

It is the most spectacular piece of property and the house is magnificent in all it's glory.  It must be so hard for him to part with it but he's in his 80's now and remarried and lives in Connecticut.  I was wondering if he had taken all the furnishings to his house in Connecticut, maybe that was the reason for using a stager.  The Montauk house has been on and off the market for awhile.

I prefer the way it was before it was staged but now, you have the opportunity to see the glorious rooms themselves in the purest sense.  I know if it were mine, I would not be able to leave it.  The details and woodwork in each of the rooms are amazing.  What a labor of love in the restoration.  The documentary of rebuilding the house is no longer available (what a shame) but here is a clip:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mo22k

Thanks, Oznell, for this treasure!

Respected Contributor

So gorgeous!

Been a huge fan of ****** Cavett since I was a teenager.  I used to stay up each weeknight and watch his show from 11:30 pm to 1 am.  Mom said it was ok as long as I didn't  give her problems getting up for school in the morning!

Respected Contributor

Well, do not feel bad for Cavett!  He bought another property in Ridgefield, Ct. called Sunset House and paid 3.3 mil!

https://www.6sqft.com/connecticut-georgian-estate-where-harry-houdini-hung-out-is-up-for-auction-for...

https://platinumluxuryauctions.com/listings/sunset-hall-ridgefield-ct/

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks for posting the pics.  What a great view.  I really like the house, would change a few things, but you just cannot beat that view!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I love this! I could sit on that porch all day with a good book, and a glass of iced tea! It is a beautiful property.