Honored Contributor

@zitawins  They give classes at places like Home Depot or Lowes on how to make the inside and outside mitered cuts  needed to do crown molding, then when you get it - prime and paint it before hanging it and all you have to do is put a slight putty smear over the nail holes and touch them up with paint. We put up crown in our Pa . home  but a good friend who is a carpenter made all our cuts for us - then DH nailed them up and I patched & painted. Our carpenter friend did all the cuts in just a few min. and , of course, they were all absolutely perfect. He makes cabinets for a living so mitered cuts were nothing to him.

Honored Contributor

I can't wrap my head around how easily this crown moulding has been removed!  How was it attached in the first place? There is no way on earth most people could pull down their crown moulding as they are painting the ceiling.  Maybe you're better off without it...

Honored Contributor

Re: Crown molding...

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Crown molding that I'm familiar with - taking it down (nailed on) seems like a huge job to me.  Re:   color  - since your walls are darker green and assume ceiling is white - I would never paint the CM the same as the walls - yes, too dark.  I would have the CM in white - white woodwork is always preferred and it 'sets off' the darker walls.

@fthunt ITA. I would not take the crown moulding down. I would paint it white. I would not paint it the same color as the walls.  Paint the ceiling, paint the walls & paint the moulding. Use some Duck blue painters tape to tape it off. Easier then removing the moulding. Moulding is nice & expensive. A lot of people like it & want it in their homes.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I can't wrap my head around how easily this crown moulding has been removed!  How was it attached in the first place? There is no way on earth most people could pull down their crown moulding as they are painting the ceiling.  Maybe you're better off without it...

Crown molding is put in place with finishing nails.  Then a spackle putty is used to seal the edges, seams and nail holes.

it goes up easily and comes down easy.  However, it will be more difficult to put up after she already took it down.  It’s better to leave it in place to paint it.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

Crown molding is put in place with finishing nails.  Then a spackle putty is used to seal the edges, seams and nail holes.

it goes up easily and comes down easy.  However, it will be more difficult to put up after she already took it down.  It’s better to leave it in place to paint it.

It is certainly not something you can do while up on the ladder painting the ceiling.  At least mine isn't.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If she doesn't put the crown molding back up she will have an awful lot of filling in of nail holes to do where the nails came out of the walls.

I'm just stunned because I've never heard of anyone taking down crown molding to paint. I don't think this OP realizes how lucky she is to have crown molding, how high end it looks, or that it's supposed to be painted so it stands out , not just disappears into the wall color.

We've been looking at building a new home and we've discussed crown molding with the builders - it seems the average cost runs around $2000 a room ( it actually goes by sq ft, but that seems to average out at around $2000), and that's just a plain one piece crown molding - nothing fancy.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

It is certainly not something you can do while up on the ladder painting the ceiling.  At least mine isn't.

@faeriemoon When or how do you think you paint it? Our painters painted the ceiling and the walls then painted the crown using a brush. As I said before - when installing it new it's easier to paint before you put it up then just fill and paint where the nails are.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am aware of the cost of the molding...dh and I did it ourselves..our living room is not huge, house was built in the 70's.......it looks nice but in just a couple of places the seams looked bad and needed something done....it has been up for many years...when I make up my mind to do something I get it done...molding is down and I have cleaned the room and gotten the ceiling edged in.  The room is dark so I cannot work very late into the day, I am pretty much done for today.

If I would have left the molding in place I know I would have gotten paint on the molding, wall paint is a dark green, and I no longer have the white paint color that we painted the molding, so the molding would have had to be repainted and it was dirty and needed a fresh coat of paint.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@faeriemoon When or how do you think you paint it? Our painters painted the ceiling and the walls then painted the crown using a brush. As I said before - when installing it new it's easier to paint before you put it up then just fill and paint where the nails are.

I'm talking about removing it.  The OP said she took it down while painting the ceiling.

Honored Contributor

I haven't ever seen crown molding painted the same color as the walls and honestly don't think it would look good.  Is there a reason you don't want to paint it a white/ivory shade and the walls a different color?  I can see that painting around it might be difficult but think I would leave it off before painting it a different color.  I would try painting around it and taping it off before painting it the same color.  I do think crown molding adds a lot to a room.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau