Respected Contributor

I would paint it white.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

If she doesn't put the crown molding back up she will have an awful lot of filling in of nail holes to do where the nails came out of the walls.

I'm just stunned because I've never heard of anyone taking down crown molding to paint. I don't think this OP realizes how lucky she is to have crown molding, how high end it looks, or that it's supposed to be painted so it stands out , not just disappears into the wall color.

We've been looking at building a new home and we've discussed crown molding with the builders - it seems the average cost runs around $2000 a room ( it actually goes by sq ft, but that seems to average out at around $2000), and that's just a plain one piece crown molding - nothing fancy.

@151949  I'm with you, I've never head of anyone taking it down to paint either,  what a lot of work !!!   I hope she numbered it because if she didn't she's going to have one heck of a time trying to put it back up,  My guess it will never happen, what a shame and loss of value of the home.   

Esteemed Contributor

First, number the CM as you take it down - it will make it much easier to "match" the pieces when putting it back up. As far as paint, it should be painted the same as the ceiling color. HTH

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I haven't ever seen crown molding painted the same color as the walls and honestly don't think it would look good.  Is there a reason you don't want to paint it a white/ivory shade and the walls a different color?  I can see that painting around it might be difficult but think I would leave it off before painting it a different color.  I would try painting around it and taping it off before painting it the same color.  I do think crown molding adds a lot to a room.

@NickNack....my molding and wall paint color matching was a passing question.....

Honored Contributor

Yes, I did mark the pieces, and I have done my fair share of painting projects over the years.  I may not do things the way people think they should be done but when the room is complete, the molding will be clean, freshly painted like the walls and ceiling..all ready for new carpet this spring.     I do appreciate the comments. 

Honored Contributor

The OP was very lucky not to find any surprises hidden behind the crown molding. Both electricians and plumbers have found that space behind the crown molding to be easy places to snake wiring and run PEX plumbing lines. Very often when crown molding is removed, lots of hidden wiring, and in some cases plumbing, is revealed. 

I definitely do not recommend pulling down crown molding to paint. Taping it off is a far, far easier, and better option. More often than not properly installed crown molding will be caulked along the edges after installation and many installers use adhesives like PowerGrab to install it. In many, arguably most cases, it's impossible to remove it without damaging the drywall or even plaster behind and above it. In this case the OP got very lucky and it was just lightly nailed into place. In most cases you wouldn't be that lucky.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Crown molding...

[ Edited ]

I'll add my two cents even though, at this point, OP probably has an ear full Cat Happy

My husband is a builder and, we installed very large crown molding (at least 8 inches or more) in several rooms.  It had been salvaged from a big hotel and was beautiful.  We also have very large baseboards and trim and antique rosettes at the corners where the trim joins.

The ceilings in all downstairs rooms are 10 ft.

Our walls are antique white and the CM and all woodwork is painted "shell white."  Just a slight color change.  It looks beautiful without screaming.  

Most crown molding I've seen is white or some neutral shade.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman.....your woodwork sounds beautiful. DH and I both like antiques and have several family pieces as well as things we have collected over the years.   We have a great appreciation for antiques.

Since dh and I installed the molding I knew there was nothing lurking  once I took it down.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Has anybody used a mitre box, and if so, please share your experience.

P.S.- I am NOT a math whiz.

dee

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

First, number the CM as you take it down - it will make it much easier to "match" the pieces when putting it back up. As far as paint, it should be painted the same as the ceiling color. HTH

@riley1  Not always is it painted the ceiling color.  Our ceilings are a very light taupe, the same color as the walls.  All the woodwork is painted a creamy white and it is simply beautiful!  

The crown moulding painted a light color sets off the walls and brightens the shadows at the top of the room making it brighter and not as drab where the walls and ceiling join.  It often maker a room look brighter and lighter just by adding the light trim to the top. 

I am no longer a fan of all white ceilings unless the ceilings are low.