Honored Contributor

My house colors were chosen by a professional decorator - I have kilian beige walls, ecru ceilings and all the wood trim, including the crown molding is pure white. The walls and ceiling are flat paint and the wood trim is all glossy paint.

I can't possibly imagine any reason someone would remove crown molding. It's a very expensive upgrade to put on a house and makes it look much more nicely finished.

In my personal opinion , wood trims like crown molding look best when painted to contrast with the paint color. Thus they are usually painted glossy white unless the walls are white - then the trim is usually a contrasting color. I saw a TV show where they were remodeling a house to flip and they did a beach decor in blue and white, with white walls. They painted all the wood trim navy. It was very striking.

Valued Contributor

I love crown moulding and consider it very high end. Would give anything to have it in our new townhome. It lends such a great finishing touch. Painted white, probably to contrast with wall color.

Respected Contributor

I love crown moulding and I would never take it down!  I really think it adds something special to a room.  We did some remodeling a couple of years ago and I wanted it then but it wasn't in the budget.  We had just gutted our kitchen and bathroom so we decided to wait. 

If your walls are dark green and you painted the moulding green could you really tell where the walls ended and the moulding started?  I personally wouldn't paint it the same color as the walls. I would opt to paint it the color of my wood work which is Delicate White by Olympic paints.   I never paint my ceilings a stark white.  I use off whites and creams for ceiling paint so in my case, painting the color of the wood work would make a subtle contrast between my Pony Tail walls and Parchment Paper ceilings.  JMO.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor
I would paint crown moulding to match your ceiling paint. I am guessing that your ceilings are white, so that is what I would do.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: Crown molding...

[ Edited ]

More power to you, what an ambitious woman you are!

I love the Hunter green and wood look. Do remember, just like in clothes, your eyes will go so far and the new color will make them stop.  (Found it out in one of our rooms).  But you have really high ceilings.  Look at some pictures on line, and maybe that'll help you in your decision.

Honored Contributor

Re: Crown molding...

[ Edited ]

Moliding is down...whew ...and none of it cracked!  It was quite dirty and needs repainting in a serious way.

I am running to the paint store to get the ceiling paint, get that done and then move on to the walls.....once they walls are painted I will decide about the molding....thanks everyone for the advice.

Esteemed Contributor

I have crown molding in most of my rooms and love it!!!  I would not take it down to paint the wall/ceilings. I would just painter tape around it. It depends on the room but ususally I paint ours with the ceiling color. 

Respected Contributor

I love crown mouding, think it makes the room look "finished".  I'd paint the CM to match the ceiling.  Have you considered a picture rail?  CM type rail about 6 inches or so down from the ceiling with the ceiling color above the rail and the wall color below. that looks nice too.

Honored Contributor

@Fressa....if you painted your crown the same color as the ceiling I am going to guess that it is not a gloss...as has been adivsed to do...paint the crown a gloss paint.

If I paint the crown I would prefer to just use the exact same paint as the ceiling.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer the stain finish to all of our painted walls/ceilings.  I have an older home and gloss seems to show every imperfection. 

I think you can paint the crown moulding the same oclor as the wall. It's strickly a personal preference. I think it depends on the height of  the wall. If you want to extend the height of the wall this is an easy way to fool the eye.

I've seen dark color walls with a cream color on the crown  moulding that really makes a dramatic effect for the room.