Super Contributor

just saw on FB 25% off today for Groundhog Day- no free shipping though.. I ordered the Blueberry Pancake and Sun Ripened Grape candle on Friday. They shipped yesterday and I should receive them tomorrow. When i ordered they had the 25% off and free shipping. Too bad their shipping charges are so high $10 to NY from Ohio.

Valued Contributor

Re: Crossroads Candles 25% off

Thanks Tobias.  I saw that, still no extra money.  LOL.  I am beginning to think that you and I are the only ones that buy Crossroads.  I think once people try them, they will like them.  They are great candles.  My Bob Evans restuarant carries them and sells the 26oz. jars 2/25.  Granted, they only carry a few scents but one of those scents is Buttere Maple Syrup so when I do go to buy again, I will more than likeley get them there.  Good price and no shipping.

Super Contributor

well, Rustys mom- until I heard about them from you and I think, at the time, a few others on the boards, I never heard about these candles either. They aren't sold anywhere around me but I just love the two scents I have (also liked the pine scent I bought at christmas- just not as much as the buttered maple syrupopa nd kettle corn). My son loves the expresso roast and I cant wait to try the blueberry pancake and the grape. I'll let you know how they are.

Honored Contributor

I live close to the factory here in Ohio, and visited last year. I have never purchased one, and left their factory store not getting what others see (well, smell, actually) in this line of candles.

Can those of you who have burned these tell me, is the throw and fragrance any better/stronger/pure once burning, as compared to just smelling the product?

I sniffed my way through the whole store, wanted to support a local business so badly, but really didn't think that (without burning one of course) they were any better than a cheap Walmart type candle, based on just sniffing.

I know they have their faithful followers, and I must be missing something.

Normally I'm a foodie for scents, especially baked goods scents.

Valued Contributor

Mominohio, altough I have not tried every scents, actualy, very few because like you, I am a foodie scent person so I have stuck with mainly the buttered maple syrup and kettle corn.  In my opinion, they burn great, clean and down to the very bottom, and have a great throw when burning.  They scent the whole house.  The first time I ever smelled this particular scent (buttered maple syrup) was when I walked into a shop in Amish country (Berlin, OH) and the whole place smelled so good.  I immediately asked the sales clerk what they were burning and she told me.  I bought one that day and have loved the scent ever since.  I have never been to the factory store, we live in Columbus and as much as I would love to go, I can't talk my husband into driving that far just for candles and I don't drive.  This is just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@Rustys mom wrote:

Mominohio, altough I have not tried every scents, actualy, very few because like you, I am a foodie scent person so I have stuck with mainly the buttered maple syrup and kettle corn.  In my opinion, they burn great, clean and down to the very bottom, and have a great throw when burning.  They scent the whole house.  The first time I ever smelled this particular scent (buttered maple syrup) was when I walked into a shop in Amish country (Berlin, OH) and the whole place smelled so good.  I immediately asked the sales clerk what they were burning and she told me.  I bought one that day and have loved the scent ever since.  I have never been to the factory store, we live in Columbus and as much as I would love to go, I can't talk my husband into driving that far just for candles and I don't drive.  This is just my opinion.

@rustysmom

Thanks for that information. That buttered maple syrup is, I believe, their signature scent and I've heard others really like it. 

Living so close (maybe 45 minutes) I'm going to have to go over and give their candles another chance. 

I have tried other lines of candles over the decades, Yankee was my favorite back in the day, before they sold out and changed things. I used to think there was nothing better out there (but that was decades ago).

One of my favorite lines now is Kringle Candles. They are owned by the son of the founder of Yankee Candle (and his father is/has been involved in the company) and they are what Yankee used to be, and maybe even a little better.

The one thing I noticed, and made me ask the question, is that even among my favorite brands over the years, sometimes a candle smells much stronger or weaker when burning vs. cold in the jar. And there is nothing more disappointing to buy a candle thinking it has a good and strong smell, then burn it and find there is no throw or noticeable scent.

We spend a lot of time in the Berlin area, and maybe will run into your there sometime!

Thanks so much for the help.

Super Contributor

mominohio- I agree with Rusty mom- crossroads candles burn cleaner and pool better than any other candle I have tried. There is no black soot whatsoever and I can tell you the throw on the buttered maple syrup is incredible! The throw on the kettle corn is great also- the pine scent I had at christmas was nice but the throw wasn't as strong... I'll review my two candles when I receive them which should be today (blueberry pandcake and sun ripened grape)

I, too, only bought Yankee candles for years and then a few years ago just stopped burning candles because the Yankee scents were not what they used to be and they created so much black soot. Thats how I tried Crossroads-reading reviews on the boards. I also bought some Goose Creek candles which smell nice but not as great as the buttered Maple syrup. Another wonderful candle I tried was Candleberrys Hot Toddy which also has an A+ throw but only has one wick so it burns very slowly. I love the way the Crossroads pool quickly so you never have any tunneling even if you blow them out after 45 minutes. I think you should give the Buttered Maple syrup a try!

Esteemed Contributor

@tobias wrote:

just saw on FB 25% off today for Groundhog Day- no free shipping though.. I ordered the Blueberry Pancake and Sun Ripened Grape candle on Friday. They shipped yesterday and I should receive them tomorrow. When i ordered they had the 25% off and free shipping. Too bad their shipping charges are so high $10 to NY from Ohio.

@poohbear1, Was there a minimum order requirement for the deal you used, the 25% off and free shipping?  Also, where will I most likely find their deals like this, on Facebook or by signing up for emails?  I'd love to try the buttered maple syrup, but I'd rather try melts or a small candle first, since I'm so sensitive to many stronger scents.  I can't bring myself to pay $10 shipping for such a small order. 

Super Contributor

actually, if you go to www.thistlecreekprimitives.com they sell the crossroad candles and have free shipping over $35. If you "like" crossroad candles on FB or sign up for their emails you will get notification of these specials (i would suggest signing up for their emails) Another website called tartburners only charges $5.99 shipping. I dont know where you live, but in ny the shipping is $10 which I will not pay.

Esteemed Contributor

@tobias wrote:

actually, if you go to www.thistlecreekprimitives.com they sell the crossroad candles and have free shipping over $35. If you "like" crossroad candles on FB or sign up for their emails you will get notification of these specials (i would suggest signing up for their emails) Another website called tartburners only charges $5.99 shipping. I dont know where you live, but in ny the shipping is $10 which I will not pay.

Thank you, @poohbear1.  I will sign up for their emails and see what I get.  The estimated shipping for me showed $10, so at the very least I'll be waiting for another shipping deal to come along.  I will also look at the other sites you suggested.  Thanks again.