Honored Contributor

Re: Creative ideas for your PRACTICAL dream house?

Butler's pantry and wet bar combo for dishes, glasses and bar stuff.  A BIG one.

A pantry room with a feezer and extra fridge built in.   Sink,and counter space.   There is a house in our area that has a gigantic kitchen and a room off that with two more fridges, two more dishwashers, counter space, pantry space AND another island with lots of work space on top. . . now THAT is a dream home!  

Esteemed Contributor

I totally agree with @Mz iMac  😍😍😍😍

Esteemed Contributor

Great ideas. Pet room where you can wash and feed and store pet things is a great idea. A guest room for a special, Tahitian friend is always practical! Large walk-in pantry, well-planned laundry room and large walk-in closets all sound practical to me. 

There's a house nearby that has an average sized home with a cat walk on second floor leading to a detached guest room above garage. I love that. We've had people temporarily live with us from time to time. That detached guest area would be great. I think I should have built a home!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

An elevator to start.

Honored Contributor

There are several things:  Central air conditioning, walk in closets, kitchen with an island, nice size pantry....all things I do not have.

Honored Contributor

One floor retirement home that is handicap accessible with wide hallways.  No stair steps anywhere.  Master bedroom with master bath and large walk-in closet with some built in storage units.  Kitchen with large pantry unit with pull out shelves.  Lots of cupboards with soft closures and pull out drawers on bottom.  Sun room with lots of windows is a definite must.  Bathrooms with safety bars and large linen closets.  Guest bedroom with large wall to wall closet.  Large garage with extended space for storage.      

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Walk in showers and modern large walk in baths.

Only one floor but large enough to have several bathrooms and bedrooms with walk in closets, in addition to a living room, dining room, a cathedral ceiling  den with sky lights, a computer room, and a modern kitchen with a pantry and with slide out units,  a mud room, an attached garage,and located far from the street.

Central air conditioning and heating. No wallpaper, no rugs, and flat moldings.

No window blinds but glass areas with crackle glass designs or stained glass for privacy besides window curtains that can be changed.

And a garden with wildflowers and bird feeders, fenced in yard for animals to enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake 

I like your garage ideas! Makes perfect sense to me and my life as well.

I think mine would include a couple of things that seem practical to me, but maybe not everyone else would see it that way. 

I've always felt I need a butler's pantry. A great big one. 

Not a food pantry (although that would be great too), but a room lined with built in 'hutches' if you will, that are designed to store and display all the linens and all the various dishes and serving pieces for multiple dinnerware/serveware sets. 

I change out my dishes and serveware at least four times a year, sometimes even more. For me, this requires going up and down to the basement to get new, store the old. To have all my sets organized, each in their own hutch, all right off the kitchen/dining room would be excellent and exciting for me. 

It's an extravagance for most, but for those of us that like to use different dishes for different occasions or seasons, it would make life so easy and bring such joy.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

If it were a two story, definitely a laundry chute, assuming the W/D on the lower level.

@Sweetbay magnolia 

I grew up in old houses with laundry chutes. I love them, and miss having them! Saves a lot of carrying, and no dirty laundry in the bathroom and bedrooms, just tossed down the chute as used. Personally I think they are ingenious!

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

An elevator to start.

@Allegheny 

I love big old two and three story homes, but know I will never live in one again, because my knees won't do all the stairs. 

So an elevator, yep, that would fix it to get me back in the kind of house I truly love! Now I want it!