Honored Contributor

Re: Could you live in a tiny home?

They're so cute, I'd love to have one as a cabin in the mountains for vacations.  However, I need my "stuff" when not in vacation mode.  I can see the appeal of being free from having too much. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I couldn't live in less than 850 square ft. and it would have to have a basement for storage and safety.  A cute little cottage or cabin maybe.

Respected Contributor

No: I need room for hundreds of books!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Three WORDS-----

NOPE-NO STORAGE! 

Expanding on that thought:

I think there is a big difference between a small home/condo/apartment versus a tiny home!!!  In a tiny home there is so much you have to compromise as far as kitchens (seen some that only had a hot plate to cook on), bathrooms (the toilet/shower space is virtually on top of one another), and even the sleeping area (dont want to climb up a shaky ladder and get closterphobic sleeping in a small loft space)...... While some small homes/apts/condos may lack storage....they are at least have some place to put your clothes and essentials.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@MarieIG

I agree. My husband and I raised two boys in a 1200 square foot Cape Cod home, with no basement, no garage and no attic.  We moved from there to a 2700 square foot house here in California.  I couldn't wait to get rid of that house. We bought a 1300 square foot townhouse 10 years ago and I'm happy as a clam here.  I don't see the point of living in a house that's too big, but at the same time, I can't understand living in one that's too small, either, and a house without indoor plumbing is a defiinite deal breaker. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat,   If I had a tiny home, the bedroom would have to be on the main level (no loft bedroom for me).  However, I think you are right, a trailer would be much better.  A lot of retirees chose trailers but you have to get in the right park with trees and beautiful surroundings.  They do exist.  Cat Very Happy   

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

As cute as they can make them I could never live on one, even if I was single. I need space to stretch my legs!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

There is some concern that they would become slums in Phoenix.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Not for me.   I like having space for guest.

Trusted Contributor

I understand there are large problems with squatters, leaving litter, dumping remains from compost toliet, avoiding paying taxes, and so on.