Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Could I?  No, but I envy people that can without any fret or worry.  She is obviously living her life to the fullest without the baggage of worry.  She is carefree. 

@tends2dogs, you said it. Sadly, I think I'm carrying her worry bags in addition to my own. 😲 I've often said worrying is my hobby. And my husband says I've very good at it. Ha!!!

To answer the OP, NO, I could not do that...not in this lifetime nor the next!      

Esteemed Contributor

I did it in 1986. My house was finished and we had the walkthrough a couple of days earlier. The movers picked up everything on the 15th and on the 16th we left for a two week cruise. We had a great time because we knew everything was moved out of our old house and into the new one. We got back and unpacked.

Honored Contributor

I cannot imagine!  I am to much of a neat nick to move in and leave...I would be biting at the bit to get home and settlted in.....but would not have been traveling in the first place....I don't like to travel.

Respected Contributor

Wow! No I could never do that!

Respected Contributor

could i?  well, yes i could, but it would not be with grace and ease LOL.  

then again, she could most likely not do what i just did.  i was rushed into emergency surgery at the end of june, and spent a week in the hospital, followed by three solid weeks at home flat on my back.  after that, i spent an additional few weeks re-discovering my footing.   here it is almost august  and i am still recovering.

it is fortunate that i love being at home and alone more than i love being out and about.   this would be an intolerable situation for lots of folks. 

Honored Contributor

It's all about what makes you happy, comfortable, what you can afford, having people to travel with, and your way of life.  

I am retired and at times feel stagnant and get the urge to get up and go and then other times I am perfectly content with being home and doing local things.  I know I was much more active and on the go when I was younger and worked.  I guess it is a matter of choice in how you spend your time and what is good for one may not be for another.  

I too did social work in the school system and it was a difficult job dealing with all the social issues and dysfunction.  By the time my summer vacation arrived, I just wanted to relax and enjoy the simple things of life.  When I did go away it was to places of tranquility and relaxation, I had to wind down.

Honored Contributor

Re: Could you do this?

[ Edited ]

I think this is great for your friend!  Never missing a opportunity to travel...the house will be there when she's gone! (as my dad used to say with the dust!)

Yes I could.  I bought this house, moved all the boxes into the right rooms, then left to go home for GD birthday (1 week) , came back organized a bit and returned home for summer family vacation (3 weeks), returned home late mid-July and then went to cousins vacation (1 week) then went back home for family reunion all in the span of 8 - 9 weeks. 

the boxes stayed on the floor in the respective rooms for about 2 months.  BUT once I got started I had everything unpacked, organized and ready to live here in 3 days.  (Of course, its not a big house & just 2 of us).

I prefer to do things on the spur of the moment - I think I stay more focused than planning things.  Sometimes, late at night around 11 or so I get "antsy" and start reorganizing or doing something to keep busy.  

I'm kinda a night owl and require little sleep!

Honored Contributor
I would love to be physically able to do that. Unfortunately for myself and hubby, those days are gone.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I couldn't do that because I'm someone who worries about what tomorrow will bring.

When I see people traveling all around like that my first thought is just how much money they are spending.   

My husband and I planned our retirement so that we would have a nice amount of money in the bank and in our retirement account to feel comfortable and not worry about our future.    Taking a few nice trips are fine for us but I could not see us spending huge amounts just to be able to say look at all the places we've seen.    Memories are wonderful but they won't help you if you get into financial trouble.     

Since we never know what might befall us in the future I like to be prepared financially and not wonder what we are going to do.

I've seen articles that say many seniors have very little in the bank and are just relying on Social Security to survive.   We have pensions and S.S. but we still are very careful about the money that we spend.  

We aren't penny-pinchers, we enjoy life.    We just prefer to spend our money in a more conservative way.  

That being said, for those who enjoy traveling and are able to do it without dipping into retirement money I say go ahead and have fun.  

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Makes me tired and anxious just reading all that.

Me too!  ...sounds really exhausting!...or maybe she is one of those people who have a LOT of energy?