Honored Contributor

In a way I envy her. I’m a planner and a worry wart and instead of enjoying myself, I would fret about the house and going back to work. It must be very freeing to be like her. Sigh.🙁

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

It seems like she has an enormous amount of energy.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

I'm exhausted just reading it. I wish I could be like that but the thought of moving to a new house and then leaving the country the next day stresses me out badly. I would want to settle in my new house for awhile first.

Esteemed Contributor

I suppose I could, but I wouldn't choose to.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

She is the most amazing person. She is a social worker, and always the first one there to help anyone who needs it. When I had cancer in 2012, she took time to drop in on me regularly to check if I needed anything.  Her DH is substantialy older than she is, so he's been retired a long time. He's the one who does the cooking, cleaning and homemaking, but he's also with her on almost all of her jaunts, including this one to Ireland. I don't know how they do it.

@house_cat I guess she's one of those "high energy" people!

ME!:   See the source image 

Esteemed Contributor

I'll clarify my response by saying if I can afford it.

Most people I know who travel extensively with spouse/kids in tow do so for business so it's on the company's dime. They self pay for air fare for the spouse and per diem will cover many expenses if you're frugal.

That said I've had friends and wonder how they do it?? And, no I really didn't want to know.

Honored Contributor

Me? No.  I love being home and making sure it's comfortable before the next thing

But she sounds exactly like my sister.  My sister moved into a 65+ garden apartment community, while selling her house, and directing her church's annual fashion show event.  The day after she moved into her new place, she drove (not even flew) to NYC to meet up with a lot of our family members for the annual family cruise.

She said it works for her because she can enjoy her cruise and de-stress, then come home to tackle all the things that go with a new home, and closing on her old one. 

Unlike me, she is not a home nester at all.  She will always be onto the next thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat 

Like several other posters, just reading about all this makes me anxious and tired all at once Cat LOL

But, I also envy her to some extent to be this emotionally free.  People like this make me feel like an overly cautious "slug."

Just this morning I was trying to talk myself into driving 5 hours to see my sis in Northern NJ.  The trip is often fraught with traffic delays and trouble since I'm headed Northeast from Maryland.  It's not a pleasant drive.

So, given that I cannot even manage a 5 hour drive....someone who can live the life your friend lives is amazing.

In the end, I would fret about everything including the money spent.

I'm a homebody....there, I've admitted to it!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

No, I can't imagine that.  Having recently moved to a new home we're still unpacking and settling in after several months.  I hope her adult daughters offer a hand at unpacking once she returns home.  I hope too they assist her in arranging and placing furniture and adding decor to her home.

Did she downsize?  That's a huge job in and of itself especially if you've lived in a former home for many years.  What to keep, what to donate or sell, etc.   

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

In a heart beat!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif