Frequent Contributor

Could a flame less candle give enough light for a nightlight?

I want to have some night light that would not need to be plugged in. I want it to give enough light so I could find flashlights or lanterns if our power goes out when it is dark out. I don't think a flameless candle would give enough light.  Are there any that would provide enough light?  I'd welcome other solutions you might have to solve this problem?  Please help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Could a flame less candle give enough light for a nightlight?

[ Edited ]

I use a Luminara candle as a nightlight.  It doesn't give off the same amount of light as a 5 watt candelabra bulb, but it's enough to find your way to your flashlights. 

If you need to go to another room, take the candle with you, hold it horizontally, it projects light like a flashlight...of course not nearly as bright.  I have used it this way during power outages.  It works pretty well.  

Honored Contributor

I love frameless candles and use them all over my house. If you don't feel there's enough light produced from one, I'd try combinations of two or three and experiment with the amount of light for your specific space.

I've gotten some wonderful ones in the "as is" section that I've used at least 4 or 5 seasons.

Honored Contributor

I do the same as @violann  and stagger the on/off settings.   I also have a plug-in rechargeable flash/safety light in each room.    If the power goes out, the light goes on.    You can also take them out of the outlet, and use as a regular flashlight.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi , I have those ... they act as motion lights as you walk by.  Costco sells them here and sold out during hurricane Dorian.  I am stalking the store for more!  LM

Honored Contributor

I keep a small flashlight next to my bed.  It has a glow in the dark ring on it so I can easily grab it.  I find this best for me as I prefer to sleep in a dark room.  I do have have the kind of candles you speak of and, yes, they do shine enough light to see my way around a room.  I just prefer the flashlight.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Desertdi , I have those ... they act as motion lights as you walk by.  Costco sells them here and sold out during hurricane Dorian.  I am stalking the store for more!  LM

Hi @Lilysmom     I hope you find those lights!    Just got the AccuWeather winter forecast.   It doesn't include Canada.....but the N.E. US prediction is "Stormy"......     Omigosh, I don't think you need any more of THAT!  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I do the same as @violann  and stagger the on/off settings.   I also have a plug-in rechargeable flash/safety light in each room.    If the power goes out, the light goes on.    You can also take them out of the outlet, and use as a regular flashlight.    

We have those Plug in safety lights as well.  After a power outage the kids figured out that they could be unplugged and used as a flashlight so now I have to hunt for them constantly.  LOL.  Need to buy more

Respected Contributor

Yes, whenever they predict severe weather in our area, I turn on our flameless candles so we can find our lanterns, etc. when the lights go out. I use a group of them on our mantle overnight. They provide enough light that you can walk through the living room without bumping into the furniture. I also use one in our hall bathroom. You get enough light to see your way to the bathroom door without turning on the hall light. They look nice and the price is right.

Regular Contributor

I have the Luminara with the remote control.  When I wake at night I use the remote to turn on my candles and if nessessary I could use the remote where ever I have the candles.  They are bright enough for me to see where I am going.  I do have many flashlights too.