Honored Contributor

Re: Could You Live on a Houseboat?

@sceniccoast   Thank you. We are actually at our home today.  DH wanted to go hang out at the Lake this weekend, but we have a lot of outside work to do at home.

It has been almost 100 degrees everyday this week,  so we work early morning and after 6 pm...it is still hot.

Next weekend, we are going to the beach for a week, then probably will be at the Lake boating until mid October.

My DH finally fully retired this spring, so we have a lot of "us" time.  We gotta "make hay" before it gets cold and snowy....I hate the cold, so I hibernate all winter.

We used to go to Florida for the month of February, but COVID ruined that.  I am still not comfortable making plans for this winter.

We are boaters and RVers which makes it affordable to travel.  

Enjoy your day and thanks for the nice comments.

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma  I would certainly try the houseboat from Sleepless In Seattle:

Houseboat from "Sleepless in Seattle" movie | hookedonhouses.net

Trusted Contributor

no i shop too much... lol

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

I couldn't.  If I was invited for a day, I could handle that, but I would find the rocking of the boat and knowing there's a black void under me.....no.  I need solid ground.  And besides, I can't swim. Smiley Happy

House boats don't rock.  They are only used on lakes and rivers.  Trust me,  I am the queen of morion sickness.

My DH can't swim or float.  You don't have to.  They don't go fast either.  Mostly they are tired up to the dock.  You park and hang out on the patio and enjoy.

Honored Contributor

Simple answer:  no.  I like grass, trees and nature around me.  I won't even go on a cruise ship.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's a listing for a houseboat in Seattle that I could maybe "force" myself to live on!

https://www.seattlepi.com/realestate/article/hawks-nest-3M-floating-lake-union-home-for-sale-1638769...

Here's the listing on Zillow: 2466 Westlake Ave N UNIT 12, Seattle, WA 98109 | MLS #1822057 | Zillow

The home offers 1,750 square feet. 2466 Westlake Ave N, #12

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  YEA! Another Lake Powell fan!! Yes, I've been there a couple of times! And it was a walk, which I loved as well. We really thought we'd end up living in that area, but life happened and I became a widow far too young. That entire part of the country fascinates me. Adore the history of the rock formations, the cliff dwellings, and stunning beauty of that part of the USA. It's Heaven on earth to me.

I have drive to Lake Powell from my condo in CO and on through Utah, AZ, NM and back home through the White Sands then TX (before heading straight north to Nebraska from Dallas/Ft. Worth) to enjoy those gorgeous rock formations, sand dunes, cliff dwellings, and the scenery (since by husband's death), but the lure to live there was not the same.                                                    

ETA: Imagine the water has gone down significantly. Don't think I want to see any pictures of it. Like my wonderful memories! You've seen pictures of the Hoover Dam. The draught is so extreme I'm not sure the citizens of those states will be able to stay much longer. It's frightening.

Now FL is also having problems with their water in Tampa, but it's due to COVID and so many employees out ill. They don't have enough people to  truck in the chemicals to clean the water. They've been trying to get citizens to vaccinate, but apparently it's not working (due to their crazy Governor). Wow, what next?     

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

See the source image

You bet I could and would!

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@wilma 

A huge YES!

DH and I had a houseboat for many years.  Docked on a large lake, going out and anchoring on small islands, swimming with our dogs, enjoying the stars at night, cooking out & making ice cream with friends, 4th of July fireworks, boat parades, rocking off to the best sleep at night, morning coffee on the deck, Oh, YES.

Good Memories.

PS we had a full sized bathroom, shower, tub, and fully functional toilet.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

We had a client who sold their gorgeous home in a well-to-do neighborhood and moved to a houseboat on a lake here in Seattle.  At first they were so happy to live there but within a short time they regretted their decision.  

Although the houseboat was lovely they realized how much they missed having a yard and the space that a home provided.  They also didn't anticipate how much maintenance a houseboat required.  

It took them a little while but eventually they were able to sell the houseboat and purchase another house.  

I never had the desire to own a houseboat.