Respected Contributor

@plmokn 

There are actual couches made for tall people.  I just googled and your choices are so listed.   Laz-e-boy is listed and I believe someone already suggested that.

I'm sure a good furniture store can help you with your specific needs, I don't think any run of the mill floor stock couches will work for you.

Hopefully you have a Lazeboy store close by so you can ask further.

Super Contributor
Do you have a consignment furniture store in your area? I've had great success finding a variety of pieces at these stores. Typically they will deliver for a fee. Even if you don't decide to buy something, you might be able to find a brand and style that you like and then order it online.
Valued Contributor

As others have mentioned La-Z-Boy is a good choice.

We have two --a sofa and a love seat and they both have the kick out footrest if so desired to use. Let's just say we fall asleep on them often.

I am rather tall.

But as mentioned before the stores can help with what you are seeking.

Honored Contributor

There are fewer furniture stores around me as well! I looked in the few stores near me.

My neighbor purchased a new sofa from LazyBoy last fall and I was surprised at how nice it is....when I think of Lazyboy, I think of those recliners that they are famous for.  This sofa has a nice modern look to it.

So I ended up buying a new sofa and some chairs (not recliners) also from LazyBoy.  They are comfortable and elegant since it's for the living room....I agree about trying it out before buying. 

I ordered in March and I should be getting it the first half of August...I can't wait!

Good luck with your search!

Respected Contributor

Re: Couches but not comfy

[ Edited ]

Restoration Hardware offers a good selection of sofas with various Depths, Seat Heights etc.

EFEB7FB5-B0BB-4496-80A0-EF95FB65B4E9.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@plmokn   Try a sleeper sofa.  They are often higher and firmer.  That's what I always buy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@plmokn wrote:

I have to  buy a couch (S?) and I've been shopping for a while but I cannot find a good quality, high seat, at least 20-12 inches off the ground and sturdy cushions.  Most couches are too low to the ground for us taller people that cannot get out of a low slung couch and the cushions are so soft that you sink into them and are never to be seen again. Am I the only one with this problem?  And the fact that there are now very few stores around any more to go shop at.  I cannot imagine buying a couch off the Internet without testdriving it.  We've come home after sitting and trying out couches and are totally exhausts.

Try Ethan Allen. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Ethan Allen has  a 22 inch seat height sofa. You can get extra firm foam cushions. They are $$$ but will last a long time. Flex steel is also good.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@plmokn   Try a sleeper sofa.  They are often higher and firmer.  That's what I always buy. 

Completely agree  about trying a sleeper sofa as the metal mattress frame gives the cushions extra firmness,have one for many  years,really never open it for sleeping as have a guest bedroom .But notice that the cushions don't seem to cave in or get sloppy looking . Only downfall sleeper couches are very heavy due to the metal frame.

Respected Contributor

Funny, but I was talking to some coworkers about this subject just the other day.

I too am tall and hate low sofas.

Anyway, one of the women said 'Why don't you just buy some sofa risers?'

Hmm, I'd never heard of them!

I'm sure they wouldn't work with certain styles, or may look strange with others, but it's something to think about!

Muddling through...