Super Contributor

I have to  buy a couch (S?) and I've been shopping for a while but I cannot find a good quality, high seat, at least 20-12 inches off the ground and sturdy cushions.  Most couches are too low to the ground for us taller people that cannot get out of a low slung couch and the cushions are so soft that you sink into them and are never to be seen again. Am I the only one with this problem?  And the fact that there are now very few stores around any more to go shop at.  I cannot imagine buying a couch off the Internet without testdriving it.  We've come home after sitting and trying out couches and are totally exhausts.

Honored Contributor

Some people have new fill put in the cushions and have their old sofas recovered.

Super Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  I have to get new ones.  Mine are VERY low to the ground (14-15 inches) and we've too old for that. We did have them upgraded but th couch is still too low.  Sigh!

Honored Contributor

@plmokn 

Have you looked at Flexsteel?

Honored Contributor

Try La-z-Boy Sofa Fit

Honored Contributor

Macy's, Bob's Discount--have bought sofas from both of them.  But make sure you try them out before buying even though you can buy online.

Honored Contributor

@plmokn   similar problem in reverse for those of us with short legs.   Those low sofas often are so deep that my feet don't reach the ground when I sit back so it's not comfortable to sit and it's terribly awkward to try to stand up.

I want a new sofa now.  Ethan Allan most likely still sells the one sofa I feel comfortable with (I have owned it twice), but the last one I had was was so heavy that I could not move it to clean ever and when I gave it a way when I downsized last year, it took 3 adult men struggling to move it!   Not paying again for that.

I was going to wait to shop until my new floors and all the painting is finished, but because so many things are on back order, I will start to shop next week locally and buy only if the seller can hold the sofa until I am ready for it if I happen upon one.  I wish I were more optimistic.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@plmokn 

Have you looked at Flexsteel?

If leather works with your decor, I have a Flexsteel leather sofa that sounds exactly like what you are describing. The leather prevents a lot of the problems you are trying to avoid.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG 

I did that, I bought 6 inch foam from Amazon, some lady from the Carolina's.

One piece was good and the other was discolored.  I called, she talked my ear off like I was her best friend and the foam was still good but I didn't appreciate the discoloration...anyhow.

Cut the foam to length (even with an electric knife) that was a lot of work, took the foam out (mine also had loose feathers, that was a mess and put the new foam in the cushion cover.  To tell you the truth, never again.

So I will get another 2-3 years of my sectional, the foam that was originally in the couch is not even close to what was sent and it was one of the places on Amazon that sold a US product.  

Esteemed Contributor

I bought  two loveseats  years ago  from Calico Corners and they are abt 17-18" high  ( floor to top of seat cushion) . 

You can always go to a  custom furniture maker . There are some Amish  companies such as Legacy Furniture  who you may ask if they can have extended legs on their sofas . You can also look in your area  for furniture refurbished / upholstery  businesses .