Highlighted
Super Contributor

Cottage Farms Wax dipped Amaryllis bulb

Did anyone else buy this item, M62233? It is a self contained bulb that arrived about a week before Christmas and was supposed to bloom on or around the holiday. January 8 and my mom, to whom I gifted it to, is still waiting. It has grown substantially but what an utter disappointment. Was wondering if it worked for anyone else?

Respected Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms Wax dipped Amaryllis bulb

[ Edited ]

@nycgirl79 mine is working fine - since it was advertised to arrive around Christmas i expected that blooms would brighten January February which sounded good to me.  for a bulb to produce blooms by late December i do believe you would have had to have had in early November. quite often florists have forced bulbs on rocks available near Christmas.

mine definitely has a little pouchiness at top of main shoot which means there is a bloom inside.  does your  mother's?  

Super Contributor

I think so, I’m waiting on a recent picture but the last one she sent didn’t have much. Thank you for the information, I could’ve sworn that they said it would bloom near the holiday but maybe I’m remembering wrong. So we will keep our fingers crossed and hope she gets some pretty blooms.

Valued Contributor

@nycgirl79   I bought the same exact bulbs (with the same tag) in all three colors offered at Trader Joes after seeing them selling for $8.00 each.  I then canceled my Cottage Farms order.

All three are doing fine without any attention other than watching them do their thing. 

One has a red bud peeking out while the other two are still growing.  They don't all grow at the same rate.   My guess is that blooms will be mature by the end of January,

give or take.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nycgirl79, I've bought many Amaryllis bulbs over the years (never online since they are available locally), but if you received one that was supposed to bloom within a week of arrival, then it should have been around 10" high at least. Usually you would receive a bulb in early to mid-November and expect a nice bloom by Christmas....just saying.

Super Contributor

Thanks all, such helpful info. Clearly I am an inexperienced gardener and misheard when it will bloom. I’ll share with my mom and tell her the treat is still to come!

Honored Contributor

Once I had an amaryllis bulb that was a dud.  It produced leaves but no flower stalk.  To say the least, I was disappointed, especially because it cost $15.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a waxed one but I'm still waiting for the blooms. I got mine just after Thanksgiving. It's got leaves and a tall flower spike and I thaoght we were nearly there when Another flower spike has emerged on the other side of the bulb!  Now That stalk and the leaves are growing again!  I'm just having fun watching that plant do it's thing!

Frequent Contributor

I LOVED mine and bought three last year. They all bloomed beautiful. Gave them as gifts, the grandkids were amazed at the rapid growth.  I was wondering if they were going to offer them again this year, anyone know?

They are going to have them again this year. I actually reached out to Cottage Farms to confirm because I must purchase again! I think these make great gifts at Thanksgiving to kick off the holiday season. I did this last year and most had blooms by Christmas (received mid-November...remember to take out of the box of giving as gifts).