Honored Contributor

Re: Cost of Powder Room Makeover

I'm getting several things done in my house and the total cost is around $11,000.

I'm getting new tile in master bathroom floor, new tile in master shower (with a different size and color 3/4 from bottom in shower tile, I'm buying the new vanity (ordered from Home Depot, $588), 3 new toilets (elongated seats, etc), new tile on wall in tub/shower enclosure, new ceiling fan in guest bedroom #1, new ceiling fan in screened in back porch, replace one section of screen on back porch, replace and paint the back porch screen door, replace several electrical outlets and a few odds and ends.

The general contractor has ordered the tile and will soon be ready to start.

Esteemed Contributor

Size isn't always the gauge.  Sometimes the smaller areas are more difficult to remodel than the larger ones.  The price sounds about what I would expect to pay.  Good work doesn't come cheap!

Today, an article on the local TV page said they had arrested 27 unlicensed contractors working.  Be sure that whoever you hire is licensed locally!  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I forgot to say I live in Northern Virginia.  Many things are more expensive in this area than other parts of the country.

Honored Contributor

My late husband was a builder, so I have a pretty good idea on what things cost.

I enjoy doing things myself but there's a lot I can't do anymore between my back and knees.

There's nothing like standing back and saying, "I did that".  

I know some of you understand that feeling because there are some here to do a lot of their own decorating.

I was going to replace my toilets myself, but my daughter talked me out of it since a few months ago I broke my back.

I am going to do some of the painting.  I have replaced the flushing part of toilets 3 times and all of the painting, staining, wall papering my house before.

You'd be surprised what you can do if you just try some of it.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I paid aprox $3,000 about 5 years ago to have an update in my bathroom...I got a new toilet, new sink top and fixtures....they removed my vanity, had it painted and raised it up to a more comfortable height, added new knobs and put down a new tile floor, and new baseboard.  

What is the size of your bathroom?  Did this include all the materials such as mirror, faucet, vanity, lights, toilet, etc?

@ScrapHappy   8 x 5.5....BUT that is only the area of floor space...not included in that measurement is the back wall which is a tub/shower combo and a floor to ceiling closet that backs up to the narrow side of the shower.  

The quote included all materials and labor....I did not replace the mirror or any lighting....I got new toilet, baseboard, floating tile floor, faucets, vanity top and he removed my existing wood vanity, had it professionally painted and raised to a better height.  I have a nice size vanity that was in great shape so I didn't need to replace.  I had it painted a shiny black...looks great and my mirror is almost as long (left to right as my vanity).  

I thought it was a fair price.

Esteemed Contributor

The one quote that seems really high to me is $715 for painting that small room! Most likely he would paint before installing the new toilet and maybe the mirror and light fixtures....My powder room is about the same size and I'd be stunned with that estimate for painting!

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

Also as many who have been through "remodels" -- in my case I ordered a "prefab" cabinet based on the measurements the contractor did.  

It always looks like its "easy" to replace/upgrade then it ISN'T because as I'm slowly learning "track housing" and "previous owner who did his own work" we've encountered issues with every project we've done. 

The cabinet was 2.5" off so they had to do extra work (adding fillers, wall, etc) to square it up to fit -- the toilet did not have the correct "seal", bathroom light did not have box - just wires and the piping to the sink was "rigged" with various pipes -- that was costly to correct.

Although, I had my painter paint the bathroom before the work (he charged me $100 - I bought paint).   I think the contractor is high for painting, but, that's me.  I had the mirror removed as I wanted to keep it -- OMG - the wall behind it was a total mess!

In the end - it all comes together but getting there is the challenge another reason I hire a "professional" vs. using my handyman.  

I love my handyman but when removing/demo I want someone who knows what they're doing when encounter problems...(not to say he wouldn't but I don't want to be 1/2 way through a job) although he is terrific for everyday things!  Sometimes I think I have him on "speed dial".

You'll enjoy your "updated" bathroom once it all comes together!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

I think that's great you are so handy -- BUT, as I've read you know the QUALITY of construction in your home since your spouse built it.

For me, mines like "pandora's box" you never know what you'll get ... this is a track housing community 25 years old.  I wonder how builders got away with some of the stuff we've encountered ...

(I think inspectors closed their eyes).

And the guy who lived here must have thought he was a "handyman" or electrician, plumber, tile guy --

The first month we were here:  I'd be blow drying my hair in bathroom and microwave would blow a fuse!  Then another time, my garage door wouldn't work -- it was on the same line as my light in bedroom ...ugh...

I had a licensed electrical contractor CORRECT & RE-wire all the outlets.  Oh that was another thing -- they said "gfi" but they really weren't...I wonder what the "home inspector" we paid $$$ to really did!!! 

Last year all the tiles throughout the house started cracking -- OMG I thought it was a sinkhole...thank god, it turned out to be 1/2 the tiles didn't have any mastic (or whatever its called) and over the years they wore out!

So, you are very lucky to be handy but at your age and with your recent health issues, I agree a contractor is the answer!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@ScrapHappy 

Also as many who have been through "remodels" -- in my case I ordered a "prefab" cabinet based on the measurements the contractor did.  

It always looks like its "easy" to replace/upgrade then it ISN'T because as I'm slowly learning "track housing" and "previous owner who did his own work" we've encountered issues with every project we've done. 

The cabinet was 2.5" off so they had to do extra work (adding fillers, wall, etc) to square it up to fit -- the toilet did not have the correct "seal", bathroom light did not have box - just wires and the piping to the sink was "rigged" with various pipes -- that was costly to correct.

Although, I had my painter paint the bathroom before the work (he charged me $100 - I bought paint).   I think the contractor is high for painting, but, that's me.  I had the mirror removed as I wanted to keep it -- OMG - the wall behind it was a total mess!

In the end - it all comes together but getting there is the challenge another reason I hire a "professional" vs. using my handyman.  

I love my handyman but when removing/demo I want someone who knows what they're doing when encounter problems...(not to say he wouldn't but I don't want to be 1/2 way through a job) although he is terrific for everyday things!  Sometimes I think I have him on "speed dial".

You'll enjoy your "updated" bathroom once it all comes together!

My exact experience in that the former owner used someone who did not know what they were doing. They did not put a shower pan into the shower and a few years into owning this home, water came through the wall and ruined the walls and flooring in the living room. We've learned to pay a good contractor a good living wage. We get good service this way, things done to code and done right. Tile work is always more expensive and if you pay someone very little, they often do poor work. Then you have crooked tile, poor grouting, etc. I know this from experience. Our kitchen just got the counters changed out to a nicer granite and the sink replaced and the tile backsplash redone, new faucet and new disposal. The old sink fell down out of the old granite because it wasn't installed properly. We always hated how poorly done everything was. So we just redid it since we can't go on vacation. Now its done right and its beautiful and the sink won't fall down and out. This cost us about $7000. 

Super Contributor

I don't think it sounds high at all.   Bathrooms are tedious.   Get the other quotes but spend the money on who has the best reputation and does good work....it will be well worth it.