Respected Contributor

Cost of Powder Room Makeover

Had a Handyman service out yesterday to give quote for a powder room update.  We just want to paint,  and change out vanity (free standing), mirror, lights and toilet.  The quote was $1,800.  That does not include the cost of the materials such as the vanity, toilet, etc.  And doesn't include the cost of paint (because I already have it at home).  And doesn't include the vanity counter/sink which we buy, of course, but will also be installed by the stone people.  I thought that was a big high.  It's just an update not a remodel.  What do you think?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cost of Powder Room Makeover

As with most things, get at least two more estimates and be sure to ask about start & end dates. The good people are booked well in advance. In the fall they may well be unable to start your job until after the holidays.

Honored Contributor

I would ask him how long he expects to take.......and divide the hours into the amount

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Probably varies with location and the reputation of the work provider.  Here in mid-town Dallas that would be a low to moderate quote, depending on the provider.  Always good to get 3 quotes for comparison.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it seems high. Clearly, that's for labor only and unless there's significant repair work involved the amount of labor in what you're seeking wouldn't seem to warrant that price tag. Unfortunate these days that everyone wants and expects to be paid as though they were a rocket scientist. A fair wage is one thing. Fleecing the public is something altogether different. I'd get other prices. If they're all in the same ball park then one has to assume that's what the traffic will bear. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

in my experience with high quotes like this, the message is they really don't want the job.  Sounds like they've got more work than they can handle and are choosing bigger jobs.

Respected Contributor

I think it depends how many days the work will take and whether there might be more than one person.  I would also get a couple more quotes but the lowest quote isn’t always the best (my friend found that out with a reroofing job). 

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy    Sounds like a remodel to me.  You're changing out everything except the floor.  You expect this man to perform the duties of a plumber, electrician and painter.  People think if they hire a "handyman", they can get the job done on the cheap.  There's a lot of work involved here; perhaps you don't realize how much.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I do plan on getting more quotes.  I always do.  I don't consider this a remodel.  Even the salesman said "it's just an update."  Nothing is being moved.  The vanity that is there is freestanding and new one will be as well.  A contractor or a bathroom remodel company won't even come out for a powder room.  Too little job for them.  Most bathroom remodelers have a $25,000 minimum.  This is how the quote read:

$230 for cabinetry (removal)

$390 for countertop services, plumbing and light plumbing (which I don't understand because I will have a countertop service install quartz and sink)

$390 for Handyman services (such as remove mirror, light fixtures, towel rod, repair drywall (that's only where towel rod is), and install new mirror and light)

$715 to paint

$168 for purchased materials

My powder room is 4 1/2 feet width and 5 1/2 feet lenght.

Honored Contributor

I paid aprox $3,000 about 5 years ago to have an update in my bathroom...I got a new toilet, new sink top and fixtures....they removed my vanity, had it painted and raised it up to a more comfortable height, added new knobs and put down a new tile floor, and new baseboard.