Super Contributor

Re: Corian for tub surround shower walls

I originally wanted a one-piece acrylic or fiberglass surround.  The home improvement store in my are is locally owned.  The acrylic tub surrounds that they have are 5 pieces.  I didn't like the idea of seams for fear of mildew growing there.   If I were to order something from a big box retailer, I would need to have it delivered to their store, which is 2 hours away.  

Super Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Just a quick note about tile surrounds. Larger tiles would result in fewer grout lines and the newer grouts like Fusion Pro are largely maintenance free and antimicrobial. They never need sealing and clean easily. Older types of grout were more chalk-line and harder to maintain. The higher end new stuff is vastly better.

Corian is a fine option also. If the price you were quoted ($3900) included installation, that's not a bad price. If installation isn't included, then the final price could nearly double. 

The $3900 price includes installation.  Do you have any experience with the Fusion Pro or any of the newer grouts?  I had not heard that there were better grouts available on the market.  My nephew gave me some nice, 12x12 inch tiles but I have been reluctant to use them .    I live near in a very humid, cool climate and mold and mildew is an issue here.   

Super Contributor

@judianne wrote:

l just redid my bathroom , took out the tub and put a large shower in it's place . l used flexstone , comes in 3 pieces . l got it from Menards . Had to order , but they have samples in the store . Cost about $2000 with the shower pan , just for materials . Took nearly 3 months for it all to get here . 63306B68-1DEF-4D88-AE58-007F19E529E0.jpeg

Flex Stone is also a consideration.  Glad to know you like it!

Valued Contributor

I used corian for the walls behind my kitchen counters.  I love it!  So easy to clean.  Never thought of it for the shower.

Honored Contributor

@lavenderfields wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Just a quick note about tile surrounds. Larger tiles would result in fewer grout lines and the newer grouts like Fusion Pro are largely maintenance free and antimicrobial. They never need sealing and clean easily. Older types of grout were more chalk-line and harder to maintain. The higher end new stuff is vastly better.

Corian is a fine option also. If the price you were quoted ($3900) included installation, that's not a bad price. If installation isn't included, then the final price could nearly double. 

The $3900 price includes installation.  Do you have any experience with the Fusion Pro or any of the newer grouts?  I had not heard that there were better grouts available on the market.  My nephew gave me some nice, 12x12 inch tiles but I have been reluctant to use them .    I live near in a very humid, cool climate and mold and mildew is an issue here.   

The newer grouts are typically epoxy based and contain antimicrobials to prevent/kill mold and mildew. They're more expensive to buy/install, but are better than older cement based grouts in nearly every way. They dry fast, don't shrink over time, are more durable, and are stain proof. They are harder to install though. (Largely due to their faster drying times.) There's lots of information online about the epoxy grouts showing their pros and cons.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@lavenderfields wrote:

I am having my bathroom remodeled and I'm finding it's not an easy (or inexpensive) task.  I had my old cultured marble from the early 1970s taken off my tub surround walls.  I live in a sparsely populated county with minimal choices in remodeling materials.  I have been looking online for something that's somewhat affordable and doesn't look really low end or cheap..I'm afraid to order something that I can't see before it arrives because I don't want to be stuck with it if I don't like it.    I am not interested in tile because I refuse to clean grout.  I want a solid surface that is easy to clean and maintain.  I got a quote from a local countertop store for Corian for $3900.  Yikes!  When I first got the quote, I didn't even consider this because of the cost.  I really haven't been able to find anything better or more affordable and now I am considering the Corian.  

For anyone who has Corian shower walls, I would appreciate your thoughts.  Do you like it?  Is it durable and long lasting?  Would you purchase it again?

Thanks for your input, advice and/or help.

I had 4 bathrooms remodeled in my house.  I did use tile (ceramic and porcelin) in each.  I don't know of any surface that would provide a seemless/grout less look except for those all in one showers with tubs being one piece, one unit.  My tile contractor and his team were beyond excellent.  I saw so many pictures of their work.  One thing I remembered is that a lot of people were doing marble, but BIG pieces of marble and it looked beautiful.  Couldn't see a grout line.  I don't know the cost, I'm sure it's up there and the work and heaviness of the marble comes into factor.  Plus, you need a really good tile contractor.  When looking on line, most places offer samples.  I know Home Depot and Lowes does.  A very popular store in my area is Floor and Decor, lowest prices.  These days, prices are high and inventory is low.  Just about everything has to be ordered and it takes a long time.  TIP:  always buy extra tile (for waste/damage and to have extra in your home).  Tile gets discontinued all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

I have corian in a shower.  It looks great and is totally easy care.  The one issue is that I think it's hard to find people that work with corian in my area.  I also have a corian counter in that bath.  Also looks perfect.  Very low maintenance compared to tile.

Respected Contributor

I realize you asked about Corian  but I also wanted to suggest Onyx.  It is made in Kansas, I believe.  Very few seams, easy to clean (Dawn), and numerous choices. Our hardware box store carries. 15 years ago our bath design contractor suggested.  Its still beautiful. Used in shower, tub surround and vanity top.