Honored Contributor

Re: Cook top stoves are terrible

I have a glass top stove and I cook a lot. I have to really clean it several times a day.  I use a tool with a razor blade to scrape off anything that sticks and then apply a cream cleaner/ polisher made for glass top ranges and it looks like new again.

I prefer to cook with gas, but an electric oven can't be beat for baking.  Gas ovens do not produce the nice even heat that an electric oven does.

One of my friends has a gas stove and electric oven... the best of both worlds.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have a glass top stove and I cook a lot. I have to really clean it several times a day.  I use a tool with a razor blade to scrape off anything that sticks and then apply a cream cleaner/ polisher made for glass top ranges and it looks like new again.

I prefer to cook with gas, but an electric oven can't be beat for baking.  Gas ovens do not produce the nice even heat that an electric oven does.

One of my friends has a gas stove and electric oven... the best of both worlds.

Our oven will defintly be electric. We are planning on having the oven and microwave built into to the wall. My mom is going to go tomorrow to get some of that Weiman. She is going to get the kit that comes with the scraper. I will let everyone know how it works.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never had a ceramic or glass cooktop.  

I am accustomed to gas and for the most of my years had a stand alone gas range.  When I replaced my kitchen I got a gas cooktop and a built in electric oven.

Edited to correct range to oven.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I am accustomed to gas and for the most of my years had a stand alone gas range.  When I replaced my kitchen I got a gas cooktop and a built in electric range. 

@Allegheny  What is a built in electric range - do you mean a built in oven? I thought a range was a stove top and oven together.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a glass top stove and they aren't ridiculous at all and getting them clean is very, very easy.

Yes you have to wait until it cools off but I use Weiman's cleaner or Ceramabrite and a scrubby and bing, bam, boom......clean.  I have never had to use a razor blade to get anything off.  And trust me I am not careful nor a gourmet chef.  I've had some spill over.  I even melted a cheese wrapper on a burner and once the burner cooled, I was able to peel it right off.  

I'd much rather than this glass top stove than the stoves with those removable pans under the burners that catch spillage.  Now those were horrible to try and clean.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

I am accustomed to gas and for the most of my years had a stand alone gas range.  When I replaced my kitchen I got a gas cooktop and a built in electric oven. 

@Allegheny  What is a built in electric range - do you mean a built in oven? I thought a range was a stove top and oven together.

@151949  You are correct, I used the incorrect word. Sorry. I had a built in electric oven installed.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I have a glass top stove and they aren't ridiculous at all and getting them clean is very, very easy.

Yes you have to wait until it cools off but I use Weiman's cleaner or Ceramabrite and a scrubby and bing, bam, boom......clean.  I have never had to use a razor blade to get anything off.  And trust me I am not careful nor a gourmet chef.  I've had some spill over.  I even melted a cheese wrapper on a burner and once the burner cooled, I was able to peel it right off.  

I'd much rather than this glass top stove than the stoves with those removable pans under the burners that catch spillage.  Now those were horrible to try and clean.

I Absolutely agree. I have a black gas stove at our camp - I hate those black appliances and I detest that stove. Impossible to keep clean, and you have to deal with those burner tops. I'll take my glass top stove any day.

Honored Contributor

LOVE my glass cook top!  I'd much rather deal with that than scrub those horrible pans under the electric coil models!