Respected Contributor

Re: Cook top stoves are terrible

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:
I don't care what anyone says this is the worst invention for a cooktop stove anyone has ever created. They don't come clean. Have tried everything. A pot boils over and your stove looks hideous. It's so bad by mom is getting a gas cooktop in the new house. The

@ccassaday

Cooktop stoves have been available for many, many years.  I really don't understand your post complaining about a stove. 

?????

Valued Contributor

DID you ditch the husband?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes I mean a glass cooktop. You can't clean it right away after a boil when it's flaming hot. These stoves are ridiculous.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My  mom had a glass cooktop. 

I remember her saying not to clean it right away.  It had to cool down.  She had a special glass cooktop cleaner.  I think the brand was Weiman.  There never was a problem cleaning it.

One time I tried to clean it when it was still warm, and I had a hard time.  She told me it has to be completely cool. 

I prefer to cook with gas.  I have a hard time regulating electric stoves and ovens.  They never seem to bake right either. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am a dinosaur that recently bought a new coil electric range.  Love it.

I've had natural gas, too, and honestly, I like electric better, but didn't see the need for a glass top or an induction.

Of course the range itself was inexpensive, but it was the receptacle installation by an electrician, to meet current code, that cost a bit more.  Like I could open the bottom drawer and unplug it faster than running to the breaker panel!

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I've had a gas stove, and regular electric stoves in my lifetime.  My last three stoves have been glass top, and I wouldn't go back.

I've never had a problem keeping mine clean.  Much easier to clean up a spill than pulling out individual burners.  You should use the special cleaner frequently, but it's no big deal.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

I love my glass top, it is 10 years old. I cook alot. It looks like new. Dawn for light mess, earthbright for heavy burnt mess, Mr clean eraser for boil overs. Windex for shine.

No more of those of those awful burner pans.

Respected Contributor

I'm on my 2nd glass top stove in 20+ years, and I don't think I'll ever have anything else! I have a spray cleaner that came with my 2nd one for daily cleaning...gets grease and light soil right up, with NO streaks---and my stove top is black. I also have the Weiman cleaner for heavier, cooked-on spills, and it works great--be sure to let the stove top cool completely before using it. A razor blade can be used for really stubborn stuff, just use with caution.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom is going to pick up that Weiman cleaner. Hopefully it will I'll work. I saw a YouTube video using it with a razer blade.
Respected Contributor

mominohio wrote:  

Nothing will ever replace a gas free standing stove/oven for me. I was raised and taught to cook with electric, but have had a gas stove since I was in my 20's and I'll never go back.

As for built ins, I'm no fan of them. They tend to be very expensive to replace, and even though they are designed into new and modern kitchens, they always make me think of the 1950's and being very dated looking.

@Mominohio  Sometimes I think we're sisters from different mothers.  Woman LOL  I so wholeheartedly agree with you about gas stoves that, when we were house shopping, I would not look at houses without gas capability.

A family member has a built-in that she wants to replace. Her challenge is finding the right size so as not to turn it into a major destruct / re-construct project. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.