Respected Contributor

Re: Contractor wants to paint living room different color

@RedTop. You are right, I totally agree. Listen to the professionals even if you don’t agree. 

Honored Contributor

If you did your research and hired a quality painter with lots of experience, I wouldl trust your instinct and go with his suggestion.

Professional painters will only use good quality stuff and mainly work in Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore.  General contractors will use the above or the Home Depot paints (Behr).  If you are set on a color from Glidden, they can make that color in any other line.  They have all the formulas. For example, my HOA requires the outside of my house be painted in McCormick colors.  My painter just has the color made in Benjamin Moore paint.

I just had the whole inside of my house painted in Benjamin Moore and my painter was the best in talking me through the finishes.

BM has both a flat and a matte and I think you will like the matte.  I was dead set on flat as well and they convinced me to try the matte and I was sold.  They also convinced me to go with a semi gloss inside the closets to make it brighter and easier to clean the walls when you scratch them.

My painter also talked me off the ledge the morning of when I started to question all my colors ;/

I good painter is hard to find.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I would never use flat paint it looks chalky on the walls. How many years has this man been doing this line of work?  I mean he has seen and learned things through the years. Is it really that much of a difference in price? You might be pleasantly surprised when it’s all done. 

Honored Contributor

@Reever 

Professional painters get a discount on their paints.  While this paint may be more expensive, it is still cheaper to have a contractor do the work with his discount than if you tried to purchase the paint yourself.  He probably has a guarantee in his contract for X period of time, and he does not want to come back year after year to touch up (or repaint) areas that he painted with your cheap paint.

I am a teacher, and I buy Crayola products.  They are more expensive than products at the dollar store (or store brand coloring materials).  Why?  Because I am the expert and I see how the cheaper materials perform each day compared to Crayola.  

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Some people only see $$$$ and you can't sell them quality no matter what.

Benjamin Moore paint costs around $50 a gallon. Although it is good paint, not everyone can afford those prices, especially if you have to pay someone to do the job.

Most people need to stay within their budget.

Contributor

Quality paint matters.  I used Sherwin Williams, but that's because I selected a SW color and wanted it to look exactly the same and not color-matched from a different brand.  Contractors pay way less than regular folks at SW and probably all paint manufacturers so their price at SW might not be much more than what you're paying at WalMart.  Quality paint matters.

My contractor used the exact brand/color/finish that I requested. I love everything except I hate, hate, hate that I selected a flat finish.  I was vaguely warned that I would not be able to scrub the walls, but since I live alone with no kids I wasn't expecting to need to scrub my walls.  Turns out I was wrong.  I can't even use a magic eraser on small marks without leaving a spot on the wall.  I've accidently marked my walls more in the past 2 months than I have in the past 10 years.  Probably because my evil walls know I can't clean them!  lol  

Frequent Contributor

I would listen to your contractor.  One time we bought a cheaper paint from the Home Depot, and it kept peeling off the walls.  Now, we will never use anything but Benjamin Moore.  We had to have a contractor respackle our walls!

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

2019 I guess.  Everyone you hire is unreliable. 

Your contractor is NOT unreliable because he wants to use high quality products in his work! Why would you go to the trouble and expense of having work done if you're going to slap the cheapest paint you can find on it to finish it? And didn't you discuss the specifics of the paint that would be used BEFORE you signed a contract? 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

If I was intent on using a certain product and my contractor didn't want to, I would take his input seriously on why he doesn't want to use that product.

If your dead set on using this and he doesn't want to do the work, find someone else who will.

It doesn't sound like what you want to use is the best choice.  He's probably hoping you'll change your mind and use something more current.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read the replies, but if it wasn't in the contract for him to paint, then he doesn't have to do it for sure. 

I will say, his advice is sound in my opinion, I'd never paint with flat paint. My guess is that he is trying to avoid you being unhappy with the flat paint and the colors that isn't going to work out well in the end, and then him having to re do it or get a bad review and complaints. 

I'd say that you and he aren't seeing things the same way, and you need to find someone else. You are paying and have a right to have it the way you want. He has experience in paints, finishes, and colors and doesn't want to do something that will make him look bad. 

I think you are both right, but your house and you should get what you want. Just be sure you know for sure you want it how you want it. Never forget to listen to those you hire, you might learn something or get ideas you never thought of. 

But in the long run, you are paying the bill. It's your way in the end, or someone else to do the work.