Respected Contributor

I try to get at least 3 estimates on any project.  Right now, at least in my area, contractors are super busy.  One business I called wasn't scheduling until September.  Another problem, materials.  Need to buy tile for a bathroom.  Most on back order for 8 - 12 weeks.

Respected Contributor

We always get at least two estimates, preferably three. 
Another important factor for us is if the contractor really listens to us.

Or is the type that wants to do everything their way because they're the experts. 

Honored Contributor

We go with what works.  

The last decade of his work career, my husband repaired and hung garage doors.  He got to know many local contractors, and those are the people we go to for our home improvement projects.   

Our main go-to guy is our neighbor down the road.   We're on his list for several small inside jobs this summer, and by the time those are done, he will have done a total of about $50,000 work on our house.   

Respected Contributor

There's always a benefit to having the place where you buy the door do the installation. That way,  if something goes wrong, you won't be caught in the middle of a "manufacturing defect" or "installation error" debate.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Do you shop around or go with what you think works?  I need some new patio doors and I think I've found a great installer (I already know what brand of door) and DH thinks we need a second opinion.

I think we should sign a contract.  In fact, I may just do it!  The longer we fart around the longer it takes to get the work completed.

Anyway, tell me your take.  Thanks.

@Sweetbay magnolia I can't imagine not getting more than one quote, references, and checking out the reputations.  I would never do that. A completed bad job isn't anything to brag about. 

Valued Contributor
I unfortunately learned the hard way many years ago not to go with either the cheapest or by not getting more than 1 quote. Only happened twice, but never again!!

If it's a project or task where I don't have anyone that I've used before, I get a minimum of 3 quotes if not more. I also have a huge list of questions for each person I interview including whether they're insured, licensed, who does the actual work (is it the person standing in front of you giving the quote or a trusted employee, or is it handed off to another subcontractor, their drinking buddy, their teenaged kid, etc. who isn't licensed).....etc etc etc

I also do not give jobs to someone just because they are all buddy buddy friendly. That's their job to sweet talk you to get you to hand money over to them! I'd rather have quality work done than someone who pretends to be my new best friend.

Also super important is never to trust someone who wants all the money up front before they start. Reputable places/contractors won't do this until all work completed & you can inspect to make sure it was done right. Except if it's a big job & they want a deposit-but it's all spelled out in the contract & I get receipts of EVERYTHING.

I also never hire home depot (or another big box store) to "subcontract" out work. I would have NO idea who would be showing up to do the work & what qualifications they actually had. They don't necessarily use the best & brightest for these things. Nope, not happening either!
Esteemed Contributor

We have always gotten multiple quotes on any larger projects around our home.  Aside from getting varying quotes, it is amazing what you can learn from different contractors about your job.  Listen carefully and ask questions.  And we have had a huge amount done on our home in the past several years.  Very happy with the end results.

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I guess in reality things can wait a week.  I am sorely tempted to ask for a contract, though.  It is not cheap but it is less than I expected.  DH of course thought it would be like a big trip to Costco!

He wants screens (these are patio doors) and I do not like screens.  Maybe I'll get the screens and just get the job done.

This person gets very good reviews.  I worked in the landscaping field for many years and I can usually tell a good tradesman.

@Sweetbay magnolia 

If you do not like screens you might want to look into retractable screens. They roll away out of sight.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia    .. I have a contractor I have been using for the past 25 years.  Have never looked elsewhere because I know his prices are reasonable; he is extremely honest & professional, reliable, and does amazing work.   

Esteemed Contributor

Be careful with Home Depot or Lowes.   They use subcontractors to do the work.   I know contractors who have had to go in and fix a job done by Home Depot and/or Lowes.