Respected Contributor

Re: Considering bringing a new pet into my home.

Thank you so much for sharing your stories with me. I'm so sorry for your losses. These fur babies really do have our hearts in their paws. I actually wasn't looking to get a puppy, but the opportunity just fell into my lap. The new puppy, if I decide to take her is a shih tzu, bijon, maltese mix. She is only 3 days old, so I wouldn't get her for 8 weeks. Her family has offerred to give her to me because they just want these babies to go to good homes. I'm supposed to go visit her tomorrow, so I have to make my decision soon.
Trusted Contributor

Please don't,your dog deserves to live out it's last years in peace.
Respected Contributor

It's so interesting to read these stories of our dogs and how much we love them.

I have 3 dogs who are all close to the age of 3. My house is crazy with dog activity sometimes, running, chasing, wrestling. Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking but as some have posted, I realized 2 of these dogs needed a home and I couldn't say no.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. Your new dog will be small so no problem with having 2 very different sizes (I have a sheltie, a JR/pug mix (I think) and a malamute!) You may have to keep them apart at times but I'm sure you'll figure out a way to give your older dog what she needs while allowing the younger one to exercise and be a puppy.

Respected Contributor

On 3/25/2015 sunnysw said:

Dear AGV, My heart goes out to you! We have had pugs for 16 years - always had two - they need a chum!! Our oldest pug developed diabetes & was blind & deaf. He was 12, our female was 6 years younger. A few months before we lost him, we brought in a 3 month old female pug & she fell into the routine of the other pugs, including our dear Max. He slept all day in his bed, had 2 insulin shots a day & my husband carried him upstairs to bed every night for over a year. He also carried him downstairs each morning. All our babies sleep with us & HAVE NEVER KNOWN WHAT A CRATE IS! They are members of our family & are accorded ALL rights thereto! When Max slept, our 5 year old pug would get into his bed (they always napped together) even though they had their own beds downstairs! Our new puppy just climbed into bed with them for naps - too cute & sweet for words! We have always had all our babies on self feeding so meal time was & is not an issue! Pugs are sweet & friendly souls! Should you decide to introduce a new baby into his life, you may be sweetly surprised at the loving response from your older child! As an aside, you may want to consider having two pugs, as I have said, as they crave human attention & we found that having a chum was a wonderful addition for their love!!!

Interesting comment. Two of my dogs sleep in crates at night. My sheltie loves her crate. She is a very excitable dog. When she gets all revved up, it's almost like she runs to her crate and goes in to calm herself down.

The JR/pug (I think) mix doesn't love his crate but he goes in there for his own safety. That dog has boundless energy. Yes, he can run around outside all day but he prefers to be inside with his people. However, he has gotten in trouble chewing all kinds of things and if he were not crated when we're not home, who knows what situation I'd come home to???

I consider all my pets, including my horse, to be part of our family. However, using a crate for 2 of my dogs has worked well for my situation.

Valued Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Kalli said:
I consider all my pets, including my horse, to be part of our family. However, using a crate for 2 of my dogs has worked well for my situation.

We use crates too, for night-time & while we're away for a few hours. They know that is their go-to place to get rest & relaxation, & consider it their den. My dh has a nocturnal leg-movement disorder that used to send the cat flying in the middle of the night, so we decided it was better & safer for our pets not to go that route again. They are happy & content, & queens of their castles {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Esteemed Contributor

Dogs, both young and old, have an amazing ability to adapt to new situations. It is all in the way it is handled. I see no reason why you could not bring another dog into your home. I would suggest limiting the amount of time the new dog spends with the older one, they do not need to be together 24/7. Follow the lead of the older one, if he wants to spend more time together then let them. Given the older ones health issues make sure at first the puppy is not to rough. Take things slow and let them both forge out a relationship, you may find the older one welcomes the exuberance of a new dog. As far as Male/Female I prefer to have one of each.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I would hold off. My kitty is almost 18 and is slowing down more each day. I've had the same thoughts, but am fearful he won't like it. He had a littermate that passed away about four years ago. I think he was actually happy when he became an only cat. He is very needy and wants all my attention.
Respected Contributor

On 3/26/2015 SerenityNowMyndi said:
On 3/26/2015 phoenixbrd said:

I think you should get another pug....when I lost my little pom it would have helped so much to buffer the pain with cuddles from another puppy. I have since purchased another pom and he is three now but we are considering bringing another into our home as the pain from the previous loss just crushed us. Our little guy brings so much joy and even though he is used to being the "star" that he is, I also think he would enjoy a companion.

From what I've seen with our 5 girls, I have to agree. Although humans & dogs are wonderful for each other, we are each an individual species. Just as sometimes we need another human, I'm sure there are times when a dog needs another dog for understanding, comfort, validation & companionship that only they can fulfill for each other.

I totally agree and is what our vet has always said. A new one will never take the place of another just as one child is very different from another. Animals are the same, all so very different but most do and will adapt to each other plus, being pack animals our vet says as much as they love us they do like one of their own kind, not meaning the same breed but another dog. I know ours that is old, blind and deaf follows the other 2 around and they are a huge help to her. When we lost our last one, one of the others we had went into mourning, looked all over for her(all females ) and it took almost 3 months for her to heal but the others did help. We had to get that food in a tube to feed her since she wouldn't eat, also had to take her to the vet for shots so, yes, sure do have feelings just like people.

good luck in whatever you decide but also very very sorry to hear Roofus isn't doing well and getting older as we all do of course but is always sad and never ready for it.

Respected Contributor

Last night, I said a prayer asking for guidance to make the right decision. This morning, I found out that the last available female puppy had been promised to another family. My prayer was answered and my decision is made. I will give my beautiful Pug all of my love and attention. Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me with this decision.
Frequent Contributor

I have been involved in rescue since 2003 and at one time or another have had from 4 to only 1 dog in my home. I have to agree with the poster who said there are no hard or fast rules. You know your dog best. Is she friendly when she meets new dogs? Is she territorial about food or about you? Those questions can give you clues. I only had one rescue not work out and it was because she absolutely hated my ScottishnTerrier. We worked with her and tried everything but she continued to bite and dominate our Scottie. Our rescue was a little Maltese who we had to return to her foster mother with many tears and feeling very much like failures. Truth is, you won't know until you try. The rest of our dogs have gotten along great..except at mealtime, when we separate them. Good luck whatever you decide. I hope you consider rescue and giving a shelter pet a great home. It has been very rewarding for us.