Respected Contributor

Re: Considering bringing a new pet into my home.

I wouldn't bring another pet into the home, not even an older dog. Your dog is the center of attention right now. Dogs get jealous like kids.

Trusted Contributor

I've been doing rescue work for 12 years. I've seen it all. There are absoluty no hard and fast rules about bringing another dog into the house. Nobody who has responded here has had any experience with your situation. They only say they wouldn't do it. While I wouldn't bring a puppy Into the house, I would consider an older dog through a rescue to see if it works out.
Valued Contributor

On 3/25/2015 Justina rae said:

My inclination would be to rescue an older, mellow dog. I would also not just bring one home but bring your dog to the shelter to see if she has an affinity for the particular dog you've decided upon.

ITA!!

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Super Contributor

On 3/25/2015 AGV said: ShellBell, I'm having such a hard time with my baby getting older. When I think about it, I cry. She is a member of my family. My DH thinks it would be best for me to go ahead and get another dog, but I have the same concerns that you have.

Glad I'm not the only one. I honestly don't know what I will do when my baby leaves me, I love him so, so much.

He's been an only dog since he was 8 weeks old, and he's 10 now. He loves being a super catered to only pup, and I wouldn't think of doing anything to disrupt that.

Valued Contributor

I so understand as our big boy will be 15 next month, and is having problems with his hips. I had to ask the vet to let me know when it is time, because I will pretend he's fine. We have decided to wait until he's gone to get new dog as he is not that social and deserves all our attention. Makes me cry, too.
Trusted Contributor

On 3/25/2015 Justina rae said:

My inclination would be to rescue an older, mellow dog. I would also not just bring one home but bring your dog to the shelter to see if she has an affinity for the particular dog you've decided upon.

Didn't see your post. Completely agree, but shelters can be awful with crying and barking dogs. Might not be the best place to meet up with another dog. Rescues can hand pick dogs for your pug to meet in a quiet setting......perhaps a foster's home. Ive done that many times with my foster dogs.
Frequent Contributor

Dear AGV, My heart goes out to you! We have had pugs for 16 years - always had two - they need a chum!! Our oldest pug developed diabetes & was blind & deaf. He was 12, our female was 6 years younger. A few months before we lost him, we brought in a 3 month old female pug & she fell into the routine of the other pugs, including our dear Max. He slept all day in his bed, had 2 insulin shots a day & my husband carried him upstairs to bed every night for over a year. He also carried him downstairs each morning. All our babies sleep with us & HAVE NEVER KNOWN WHAT A CRATE IS! They are members of our family & are accorded ALL rights thereto! When Max slept, our 5 year old pug would get into his bed (they always napped together) even though they had their own beds downstairs! Our new puppy just climbed into bed with them for naps - too cute & sweet for words! We have always had all our babies on self feeding so meal time was & is not an issue! Pugs are sweet & friendly souls! Should you decide to introduce a new baby into his life, you may be sweetly surprised at the loving response from your older child! As an aside, you may want to consider having two pugs, as I have said, as they crave human attention & we found that having a chum was a wonderful addition for their love!!!

Super Contributor

I think that for an elderly dog especially one with some medical issues or challenges like blindness, it would be upsetting to have another dog in the home. I would like to have another dog too but I am going to wait until my little man crosses the bridge. I just think that senior pets need all the love and reassurance and continuity that they can get as they age.

It's the same as with adults with aging or dementia issues. It's best not to change their environments too much, it's distressing to them. Also, puppies or young dogs can be very energetic and this can be annoying and bothersome to a senior dog.

I think if you are going to add a second dog or another pet it should be done while the first one is relatively young. JMO of course but that is how I feel.

Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2015 santorini said:

I feel that you should. I have a male and a female and they get along great. The older one would probably love having a companion.

I would not get another dog unless it is a mature adult. A puppy is not an appreciated companion to an older dog. They are pests who disrupt the older dog's life. How would you feel if you suddenly had to compete for attention after years of being in the spotlight alone?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

On 3/25/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 3/25/2015 santorini said:

I feel that you should. I have a male and a female and they get along great. The older one would probably love having a companion.

I would not get another dog unless it is a mature adult. A puppy is not an appreciated companion to an older dog. They are pests who disrupt the older dog's life. How would you feel if you suddenly had to compete for attention after years of being in the spotlight alone?
So all second dogs are pests. really? How can you compare dogs to humans. And how can you speak for all dogs and all humans? I, for one, completely disagree with your analysis. And I actually speak from experience, not 'feelings'.