Honored Contributor

Our Community hasn't had a Community sale since before Covid, boy have things changed!

Lots of people came but everyone was commenting how poor their sales were just lots of "lookers".  I did OK but not what I expected as in years past.

I was "downsizing" my temptations for pennies.  I was selling sets for $15 and single pieces for $5-10/each no one wanted to pay this🤷‍♀️.  I think every person told me a "story" about their Temptations🙄 (some were not good!!).

I vowed to donate what didn't sell so I just dropped off 3 containers of various pieces so someone will enjoy shopping the Goodwill store in the coming weeks!

What I was glad to sell my excess Lock N Locks they were gone within the first hour😊.  

I had many pieces of Easter decor -- couldn't give them away🤦‍♀️

The good thing is my "excess" is gone and closets are now empty which makes me happy!  I'm thinking from the older demographic of shoppers they've got their own closets of "stuff"🙂🙂🙂

Respected Contributor

Five years ago this spring, we had a moving sale at our Michigan home. Preparing to move and retire to Florida. The only things we got real money for was the furniture. Everything else and I do mean everything, ppl wanted to pay no more than a dollar for. Not even kidding. It was unbelievable. We should have called the $1.00 sale. I will never have a garage sale again. So not worth the hassle. 

Harmonize the World with Barbershop Music
Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Our Community hasn't had a Community sale since before Covid, boy have things changed!

Lots of people came but everyone was commenting how poor their sales were just lots of "lookers".  I did OK but not what I expected as in years past.

I was "downsizing" my temptations for pennies.  I was selling sets for $15 and single pieces for $5-10/each no one wanted to pay this🤷‍♀️.  I think every person told me a "story" about their Temptations🙄 (some were not good!!).

I vowed to donate what didn't sell so I just dropped off 3 containers of various pieces so someone will enjoy shopping the Goodwill store in the coming weeks!

What I was glad to sell my excess Lock N Locks they were gone within the first hour😊.  

I had many pieces of Easter decor -- couldn't give them away🤦‍♀️

The good thing is my "excess" is gone and closets are now empty which makes me happy!  I'm thinking from the older demographic of shoppers they've got their own closets of "stuff"🙂🙂🙂

@homedecor1   I've noticed since covid, there have been very few yard sales.  In past pre-covid spring/summers, there used to be  tons of garage sales/yard sales.  It seems when covid hit, people aren't that interested in hosting or going to them any longer, at least in NJ where I live.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

I like to browse yard sales and estate sales, but I rarely buy much.  Only if I see a nice piece of vintage CorningWare in my pattern or some other nice vintage Pyrex.  

I have never owned any Temptations and have not seen any for sale that I can remember.  

I pretty much just donate items that are in good shape and I no longer care for.  Sales are a lot of work and just not worth it to me.  My last sale was about 20 years ago.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I like to browse yard sales and estate sales, but I rarely buy much.  Only if I see a nice piece of vintage CorningWare in my pattern or some other nice vintage Pyrex.  

I have never owned any Temptations and have not seen any for sale that I can remember.  

I pretty much just donate items that are in good shape and I no longer care for.  Sales are a lot of work and just not worth it to me.  My last sale was about 20 years ago.

Same here...yard sales are a TON of work....getting everything clean & ready to be sold, pricing items, putting tags or signs up, etc.  Then when all of that is done good luck if you make decent money! 

I found out many years ago when I was trying to sell the crib that my kids used (it was brand new so not a hand me down) that people wanted it for a ridiculous steal!  

It was really frustrating & disheartening.  Too put so much energy & work into a yard sale is simply not worth the hassle.

Now when I have stuff I need to get rigd of and it's not really valuable, I will drop it off to be donated.

Respected Contributor

When I lived in California, our home community did garage sales once a year.  A lot of people came.  Some from the neighborhood and close by neighborhood but most were the people that worked the many farms.  Those people bought the most and paid the most.  Not much haggling from anyone.  We would easily make $500 and up.  Where I live now, our community also does a garage sale and it's coming up at the end of the month.  People in this area do not want to pay much.  I get it for some things.  I put out about 15 piece of Lock N Lock and the lady wanted it all for $5.  I put out brand new shoes (never worn) Ryka, Soft Sense, Skechers, etc.  Priced them half what I paid and they didn't sell.  One pair was probably close to $50 and she offered $8.  Even my daughters little toy remote car thing (she used to put polly pocket in, had it out for a $1 and they lady offered 50 cents.  We still do pretty good but it's because we're getting rid of a lot.  I

Honored Contributor

I had a couple of rocking chairs that I wanted to get rid of. I didn't want to deal with strangers , I just wanted them gone. I put them at the curb with a free sign on them and I kid you not , within  20 min. they were gone. No muss, no fuss.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Yard sales are too much bother for me.  My cousins offered to take my yard sale worthy items and sell them for me.  They donate any money made to a certain non profit that helped their family in a time of need. 

I am more than happy to let them have it.  They will even pick it up.

Honored Contributor

I did manage to sell at a good price IMO 2 dooney bags & a Coach which I never used, brand new KA food processor & Curtis Stone pieces.  I just think people are "looking" for that certain item and shop QVC & HSN like me so they know the value.

I was surprised I had Melissa & Doug play sets, Barbie dolls and car, games from my GD (gently used when she had visited) -- I donated them I even offered them to a few moms with kids for FREE!  It was almost the end thought they'd be donated anyway -- no takers.  

As others have said -- better to just donate as yard sales have changed for sure🙂

Respected Contributor

i go to LOTS of garage/tag/rummage sales.  you can always tell when going to one, if the sellers are new at it, or ever go to any themselves. 

point being that used Wacol bra that you paid $$$ for and only wore it twice, will not bring $5-10 at a garage sale. its a used bra.  clothing is another item. they sell cheap. 

Shoes are another item.  don't think that you are going to recoup what you paid.  too many people are pricing their items with the price they paid in mind, and they got little or no use out of it.