Honored Contributor

Whenever I see one of these colonial revival homes I'm impressed.  Everything, to me, just looks so "quality".  The more changes I make in my own home (which have not been that often).....I find that I still want  pieces that look like they have the quality of years gone by. Whether it's in  materials, appliances, furniture, woodwork, or whatever....I miss quality but quality is expensive. I find myself more and more looking for things at antique shops for that reason. Often I think a smaller home with quality is better than a larger home with quantity. Does anyone else feel that way? 

Honored Contributor

I love the shapes in colonial and colonial revival furniture.  Craftsmanship as well as materials is responsible for the price.

I would rather have something done well than "more" done in a mediocre way.

Super Contributor

So much to love in this picture!  The glass in the entryway, the fact that there IS an entryway, the stairs off the side instead of coming in the front door and walking straight into a stairway, the beautiful woodwork, the floors...just gorgeous. Plus, I just noticed there are pocket doors!  Love it!

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

This stairwell and entry foyer have beautiful bones. And yes, I too love the quality and vibe that most often comes with a well built older, traditional home. I also agree, I'd prefer a smaller quality home than a cookie cutter, thrown together McMansion.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Such stunning architecture in these homes. I loved touring the ones down south. 

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful pic.  Love the stairway.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant 

Beautiful photo! I love the door, staircase, windows, floor, furnishings, and the architectural details. The one thing I'm not fond of is the wallpaper in the room to the left.

@stevieb 

Your "McMansion" reference made me laugh. I agree with your comments. 

Honored Contributor

@jubilant   First of all I love the staircase -- different.  I also like the use of columns and other woodwork features.  Yes, I will take qualiry over quantity any day.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Good morning @jubilant 

I'm not usually attracted to this home style .. however, I must admit that entrance area is impressive.  It's just beautiful with all the light, cheery atmosphere. I also prefer quality as opposed to veneer.  That being said, quality does cost much more so depends on a budget & whether one can wait while saving $$ to get what they prefer.  This was a recent discussion in our home .. we were "butting" heads.  If it weren't for our 3 pets, it wouldn't be an issue.   Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

Re: Colonial Revival Homes

[ Edited ]

@sceniccoast wrote:

Good morning @jubilant 

I'm not usually attracted to this home style .. however, I must admit that entrance area is impressive.  It's just beautiful with all the light, cheery atmosphere. I also prefer quality as opposed to veneer.  That being said, quality does cost much more so depends on a budget & whether one can wait while saving $$ to get what they prefer.  This was a recent discussion in our home .. we were "butting" heads.  If it weren't for our 3 pets, it wouldn't be an issue.   Woman Mad

@sceniccoast   Good morning!  Thanks for your post.  I always enjoy them. I post pictures for "critiquing" (is that a word?) purposes and I do like hearing the different opinions....good and bad.  You are one of those who communicates her likes and dislikes in such a gracious way. I appreciate that very much. 

Yes, quality is expensive but as I get older I'm a little more patient than I used to be and it seems to be paying off when I'm willing to wait. I'm finding it amazing what people will get rid of for little or nothing at times!

I get the husband part.  I reaaaalllly wished mine didn't care so much.  Our tastes are very different so I totally understand the "woman mad" thing. !!!!!