Esteemed Contributor

Re: Colonial Living Room Dressed for Christmas...

While there is a certain charm about the room it is not my thing. The tree is beautiful it has an old world feeling.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb   Another beautiful home.  Love the fullness of the Christmas tree.*  And, yes, not too fond of that painting.

@ECBG. I think that's a tea table.

I'm in the midst of moving about a block and a half to another two story townhome which is a tad smaller, and no back yard, and lacking the 1/2 bath on the first floor.  

Wasn't my idea . . . the serviceman and his wife had their first baby in 2019 and so now have to sell my current rental to buy a house in southern California.

So . . .didn't put up a tree this year so amy enjoying them bu seeing pictures of them when I takke breaks from purging aand packing.

Best wishes for the holidays while I still have my Comcast and wifi available . . .

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@stevieb   Another beautiful home.  Love the fullness of the Christmas tree.*  And, yes, not too fond of that painting.

@ECBG. I think that's a tea table.

I'm in the midst of moving about a block and a half to another two story townhome which is a tad smaller, and no back yard, and lacking the 1/2 bath on the first floor.  

Wasn't my idea . . . the serviceman and his wife had their first baby in 2019 and so now have to sell my current rental to buy a house in southern California.

So . . .didn't put up a tree this year so amy enjoying them bu seeing pictures of them when I takke breaks from purging aand packing.

Best wishes for the holidays while I still have my Comcast and wifi available . . .

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Good luck with the move. Moving is a pain. Best wishes for a happy holiday and a settled New Year!

Respected Contributor

@candyagain   Thank you for the positive sentiment.  I am in need of it.  

My apologies for the typos.  Forgot to proofread.  I'm a little frazzled!  Moving during this blasted pandemic has not helped matters, either.  And my Significant Other is being helpful but sort of scattershot.  Finally convinced him to calm down.  Don't want his pressure to go up, which happens when he is stressed.  

It will all get done.  He goes to bed early so I'll get more done, and more calmly, when he goes upstairs.

Trying to juggle moving smaller things out and over to the new place, confirm pros for the big furniture pieces, then wrangle a cable appointment, update address stuff, and on and on.  Can't wait to get everything crossed off my lists!

Cheers to 2021!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

I like the room itself, fireplace, and beautiful window...all the decor is not for me.

Honored Contributor

The Christmas decor reminds  me of the homes in the historic district in Williamsburg, VA.

Back in colonial times, decorations were made with fruit ( lemons, oranges, pineapples and apples and pears) and leaves.  They are beautiful.

It might look different to those who live in the Midwest or wast, but to those on the east coast especially in the south, it is very colonial and beautiful.  One of my friends made a huge garland out of fruit and leaves for her home when she hosted a Christmas open house. It cost  her hundreds of dollars and many man hours, but it was beautiful.

When I win the lottery, I will pay somone to decorate my home like this for the holidays.

Honored Contributor

The Christmas decor reminds me of the homes in the historic district in Williamsburg, VA.

Back in colonial times, decorations were made with fruit ( lemons, oranges, pineapples and apples and pears) and leaves.  They are beautiful.

It might look different to those who live in the Midwest or wast, but to those on the east coast especially in the south, it is very colonial and beautiful.  One of my friends made a huge garland out of fruit and leaves for her home when she hosted a Christmas open house. It cost  her hundreds of dollars and many man hours, but it was beautiful.

When I win the lottery, I will pay somone to decorate my home like this for the holidays.

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@candyagain   Thank you for the positive sentiment.  I am in need of it.  

My apologies for the typos.  Forgot to proofread.  I'm a little frazzled!  Moving during this blasted pandemic has not helped matters, either.  And my Significant Other is being helpful but sort of scattershot.  Finally convinced him to calm down.  Don't want his pressure to go up, which happens when he is stressed.  

It will all get done.  He goes to bed early so I'll get more done, and more calmly, when he goes upstairs.

Trying to juggle moving smaller things out and over to the new place, confirm pros for the big furniture pieces, then wrangle a cable appointment, update address stuff, and on and on.  Can't wait to get everything crossed off my lists!

Cheers to 2021!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Sympathies. My ex was always a bigger help when he wasn't home for stressful things, too much hyper energy. And the timing of the move doesn't help, I'm sure. But you'll be able to be done in the New Year.

My Navy family moved many times when I was growing up and I've moved several times since then. Typos are the least of your worries! Again, best wishes for the holidays.

Candy

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435  Oh my gosh, what an awful time to have to move... My very best wishes to you for the holidays and for getting the move out of the way... I know you're probably missing a tree but some years it just doesn't work out. My tree is a small table top tree and I like it so well, I suspect I've done my last full size tree. I've been using this one for the past few years and it's extremely pretty and does what one needs a Christmas Tree to do with far less hassle.. Yes, full size trees are glorious, but sister, let me tell you, I've been there and done thaat !! Again, good luck to you...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

The Christmas decor reminds  me of the homes in the historic district in Williamsburg, VA.

@Carmie  I did a snippet of the colonial thing one year... Bought a bag of oranges and stuck them all with cloves in pretty patterns... Let me tell you, the scent was beautiful and completley natural. I missed them when it was time for them to be tossed. I live near a neighborhood where lots of folks do the old colonial themes and you're right, if you go all out with the fruited garland throiughout, yes, it's a costly enterprise. It's very pretty and lasts long enough but not forever, and let me tell you, by the time it's done, it really is done... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...