Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I could not find a speed queen when I was looking . I was certain of one thing - I wanted a basic machine without electronics and that was what I bought - a Hotpoint.  It is all good except the low water levels and I don't think you can avoid them. I really loved my old washer and don't like the new one nearly as much but that is life, I will get over it.

It seems all appliances have gotten so expensive and yet are poorer and poorer in quality. I bought the most basic machine they had and paid $500, but they had machines at Lowes for over $2000.

Some folks want an item with all the features.

Honored Contributor

Re: Clothes Washer Purchase

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Avoid a agitatorless top loading washer - I have friends that have them and they hate them. 

I have one and love it. I think it depends on the make and model. A lot of the complaints are about how the water level doesn't get high enough, but mine fills up much more than I thought.

I spent a week reading Consumer Reports and Good Housekeeping reviews and hundreds of user reviews on store websites. I also visited stores and checked machines out in pers. It was a tough decision and I don't envy you having to make it, @springers.

I can say that I bought mine over a Memorial Day sale and it was one that would have been out of my price range had it not been on sale. I bought a model that had been out for several years and got very good reviews from pros and most users and was STILL super nervous because washers and dryers are not cheap. So see if you can wait for the Fourth of July sale.

One thing I don't like about top loaders is that they make them SO deep these days. I am very short and literally cannot  the bottom of my washer when I reach inside. (I couldn't with most of the models in the store.) I bought one of those grabber tools that I use to fish out the last items in the bottom of my washer.

It DOES take much longer to wash clothes - usually just under an hour. I've never had it go Unbalanced and stop the wash cycle until I intervened and I pretty much just dump my things inside and make sure things look even. I don't arrange it in any special way. I bought the matching dryer and the dryer is MUCH faster than my old dryer, but my old dryer was also around 20 years old, as was my old washer.

I got an LG WT1101CWhttp://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WT1101CW-top-load-washer

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased a Samsung set about 3 years ago and really like it. I also purcahsed the storage drawers for underneath the appliances. I needed the storage but I also wanted the height up a bit to make it easier on my back. My set has a "pure cycle" which means the washer will clean the drum when needed. My friend purchased her Sansung set and did not get feature but got a "steam" feature. Make a list of your needs for each appliance and also the extras that would be a plus. Keep to your budget and compare warranties.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Always a silly question to ask on a forum. Only because you'll get tons of different answers. Woman Very Happy

Why do some people find fault with everything? 

It is not a silly question. One will get a lot of input on features/options, brands, and ideas they never even thought of. 

Who posts a question on a fourm just to get one hundred of the same answers? 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all of the different responses. That is what I was expecting and will read each one. I currently have an agitator and was hoping to lose that with my new purchase. Not sure why, but I want to check it out since its an option. I value others opinion more than consumer reports which I subscribe because I find their reviews vague.

Honored Contributor

I have a Sears Kenmore Elite front load....love it!  Had it 10 years now and not one problem. 

Trusted Contributor

I traded an old school Kenmore top loader with agitator for a front loader a few years ago.

BIG mistake! I had to replace the motherboard twice and the door latch sensor twice.

After two years, a repairman told me I should replace the whole thing, but I was able to fix it myself...thanks to You Tube!

I got rid of the front loader and was able to get my original Kenmore back with a mechanical dial...no electronic motherboards!

The new washers apparently have a lid lock where you can't throw in stray items after the washer starts to fill.

They also restrict the water that comes into the tub.

I would go as simple as possible with few electronics. I thought I was upgrading by getting fancy electronics. NOT!

Apparently, Speed Queen sells a commercial machine to the public with no lid lock or water restictions. You would have to check around to see where they are available.

I also found out that new refrigerators beep when the door is open too long! These are not improvements!

What do you do when you have the door open to clean the frig? Ugh!

Old school is best!

Frequent Contributor

I had a front loader HE (can't remember what brand it was--Maytag I think) and now I have a top loader HE (LG). If it ever breaks, I would not get another HE.  I don't think they clean as well as a regular agitator.  I have friends with HE's and they say the same thing.

Respected Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

Speed Queen is about as old school you can get, and in washers this is good news!  When the time comes to replace mine I plan to go the Speed Queen route. 

Simple is better, IMO. I don't need the bells and whistles.

dee

Speed Queen is the only way to go. Have had my washer and dryer for five months and just LOVE them both.They have a hard time keeping them in stock. Old school but gets the job done without the government regulations.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My LG, washer of 5 years old ,gave out on me last week, it was terrible, i knew exactly what i wanted, old fashion ,agitator washer, no more he for me,got me a speed queen, love it !  I want to add every repair person i have had, for the past 12 years say, when we stopped using american steel products, our appliances started going down hill,and the he washers are only good,for the companies that sell them,because they are terrible, do not clean well,have repairs too often.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.