Respected Contributor

Love Sears Kenmore and have for 30+ years...owned two and had one minor repair that was fixed by husband.  Recommend a top loader, w/agitator, and super size capacity...stay away from touch button selection and go for tried and true manual selection, aka knobs!

Valued Contributor

SPEED QUEEN all the way! Cant recomend this enought.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

I want all the bells and whistles and use all the different settings: delicates, casual wrinkle free; sheets and towels, etc. all the time. My next set will have the steam settings. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would check Consumer Reports online for washers rating.  You may want to buy a washer with a porcelain  vs a Painted steel finish. If you are buying a front loader, you may want to buy a pedestal base.

Most stores do a price match. Please bring a printed copy of the item with price when shopping.

Trusted Contributor

Speed Queen is about as old school you can get, and in washers this is good news!  When the time comes to replace mine I plan to go the Speed Queen route. 

Simple is better, IMO. I don't need the bells and whistles.

dee

Honored Contributor

Re: Clothes Washer Purchase

[ Edited ]

I could not find a speed queen when I was looking . I was certain of one thing - I wanted a basic machine without electronics and that was what I bought - a Hotpoint.  It is all good except the low water levels and I don't think you can avoid them. I really loved my old washer and don't like the new one nearly as much but that is life, I will get over it.

It seems all appliances have gotten so expensive and yet are poorer and poorer in quality. I bought the most basic machine they had and paid $500, but they had machines at Lowes for over $2000.

Esteemed Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

Love Sears Kenmore and have for 30+ years...owned two and had one minor repair that was fixed by husband.  Recommend a top loader, w/agitator, and super size capacity...stay away from touch button selection and go for tried and true manual selection, aka knobs!

I had Sears Kenmore for years.....but switched to another branch 3 years ago......should have gone the Sears Route again..............seemed like a much stronger and  reliable  brand.......bought a Maytag Bravos.. x large capacity (which i had with Sears and it handled everything)...........this Maytag when i wash a double (not

a heavyweight spread)  bedspread it goes to UL (unbalanced load)...and i always have to reset it....it jerks around although it is balanced......next time back to Sears

and i had to get used to the noises the newer Maytag made..............................

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Avoid a agitatorless top loading washer - I have friends that have them and they hate them. 

Absolutely takes ALL KINDS of consumers to do the laundry! 

I have a new-ish one, and it's by far the best, and EASIEST washing machine we've ever owned.

Ours is a Kenmore HIGH EFFICIENCY TOP LOADER.

I had some reservations when we needed to purchase it, and  DH talked me into giving it a try, and am I glad I did!

I like every single thing about it.

Although it is TRUE that nothing is quite as reliable as what we loved years ago, (planned obsolescence), I feel as confident with Sears appliances as I do with anything available elsewhere, and service is STILL easier to arrange than purchases from stores without an appliance selling history, at least where I live.

Buying a good appliance is always a guessing game for us because we always try to wring every drop of juice from what we own before replacng it.

Honored Contributor

@springers

I started a convo about this topic a few weeks ago, 

take a look

actually decided not to buy right now

Honored Contributor

Always a silly question to ask on a forum. Only because you'll get tons of different answers. Woman Very Happy

"Pure Michigan"