Respected Contributor

This date was just given to me by my realtor, can this date be moved up by a few days?

Honored Contributor

That date is usually an approximation, so if you need a change, start talking to your realtor or your lawyer if one is involved.

I haven't been following your "story" but whether closing dates can change to where you want will depend lots upon whether there are banks and lawyers involved.  And if someone is working on getting a mortgage, even those who are pre-approved have to deal with when the money is available to get a closing date.

Still - ask.

Respected Contributor

OK, I will ask....thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe.  I don't know your story, but you need to either talk to a realtor if one was involved   or the lending company.  Mom passed away in early March & the house was sold without any advertising.  The buyer needed to get out of her apartment by the end of May.

We did a few things to the house, but there was a 6 week wait for the appraisal.  We closed without a lawyer, but we used the abstract company & closed 05/26/16. !  I hope that this makes sense.  There were lots of steps & my head was spinning.  

Honored Contributor

Our new home was not going to be finished on time so the builder notified us 2 weeks before the closing. My DH called the realtor and he arranged to move the closing back 2 weeks.Fortunately, our buyer had not sold their old home as yet so they could stay there.

Honored Contributor

Re: Closing Date

[ Edited ]

The closing date on the contract is the last date the house can be closed on.  It can be moved forward if agreed upon by the seller and buyer., but to make it a later date, you will need to get an extension in writing signed by the seller and buyer.

Most homes are closed at the end of the month because it saves the buyer interest on their loan.  If you close for example on August 1, you will owe interest for 30 days in August.  If you close on August 29, you will only owe interest for 2 days. The interest is due on the day of settlement.

Honored Contributor

Isn't the closing date usually something that has to be agreed upon by both parties?

Regular Contributor

if you have a loan, your lender is required under the new CFPB guidelines to give you certain paperwork 30 days before settlement so you may not be able to move the settlement date up. The seller would also have to agree to any change. In cases of hardship the notice period can be waived but it's unlikely 99% of people would fall into the category of having an actual hardship.