Honored Contributor

Re: Clicking sound on electronic ignitor gas stove

@SilleeMee 

Thanks the burner and the caps are removable and it clicks with them off or in place

@SilleeMee wrote:

Could be a misaligned burner cap. You can view how to realign it on youtube.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox    I am the type that is in the "better safe than sorry" category and would rather have a qualified repair person check it out than risk a serious accident with gas.

And the inability to use my stovetop would make me insane since I drink my tea every day and need my briskly boiling kettle first thing in the morning.

Your dear husband thinks the starter needs to be replaced; so how is that going to be determined without a tech coming to examine it?  And if that is the problem how is the starter going to be replaced.  Are the house call and the possible new part that costly?  A gas leak or explosion would be much more expensive, not to mention possibly deadly.

At the very least I would be on the phone to the gas company to see what they say.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try cleaning the igniter with emery cloth, fine steel wool or fine sand paper. Burnt on oxidation/corrosion causes misfiring. I had it happen to my gas furnace...same kind of thing with the igniter.

You should see shiny metal on the igniter. If it has white, gray or black stuff on it, then it needs to be removed by abrasive method. Alcohol will not remove corrosion.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

I never said anything about a starter, and I also never said anything about my hubby's qualifications, he was a plumber in a former career and has hooked up and un hooked this stove several times. 

I have blow out a lot of dirt from the other burners and the clicking has gotten quieter.

I use the stove about 3 times a week to make chicken cutlets, turkey burgers and eggs on Sunday 

@aroc3435 wrote:

@I am still oxox    I am the type that is in the "better safe than sorry" category and would rather have a qualified repair person check it out than risk a serious accident with gas.

And the inability to use my stovetop would make me insane since I drink my tea every day and need my briskly boiling kettle first thing in the morning.

Your dear husband thinks the starter needs to be replaced; so how is that going to be determined without a tech coming to examine it?  And if that is the problem how is the starter going to be replaced.  Are the house call and the possible new part that costly?  A gas leak or explosion would be much more expensive, not to mention possibly deadly.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox   My sincerest apology.  I evidently misread your post 9 in this thread.  Didn't intend to be critical.  Glad that your husband has expertise in this area.

Hope your cooking situation is back to normal quite soon.

Regards,

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

You said it's been two days and also that your husband thinks it will work itself out.  Well, how long is he willing to wait since everything you have tried hasn't worked.

Valued Contributor

I think I would use the cleaning ladies salary for next week to pay a stove repairman.

Respected Contributor

The ignitor on my range only clicks when the knob is in the "Lite" position & stops once the knob is turned past it.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox  I am a big admirer of appliancepartspro{dot}com.  If you check it out, have your stove's model number handy. 

At this site you can enter your 'symptoms' and find recommended solutions.  They also sell original manufacturer's parts for installing yourself--complete with videos how to do it.   Their service is amazing, too.  No kidding, I have looked up my problem, ordered, received and installed the part all inside 24 hours!  

Good luck on stopping that clicking.  BTW, it seems obvious to ask, but have you tried turning on the burner and letting the fire dry out the wet igniter?  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@I am still oxox   My sincerest apology.  I evidently misread your post 9 in this thread.  Didn't intend to be critical.  Glad that your husband has expertise in this area.

Hope your cooking situation is back to normal quite soon.

Regards,

aroc3435

@aroc3435 Your reply is gracious and reminds why I still post here. The OP does mention a possible starter problem in post #9, and your suggestions seem sensible in light of the volatility of natural gas.