Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cleaning with Steam Question

I had a floor model and tossed it.  Not worth the bother.  I didn’t think it did tile floors very well.

Esteemed Contributor

I have both the hand held and floor steam cleaners. I LOVE them!!! It's quick and complete cleaning. I find it low maintainence on the steamers. i just take one of them and go around the entire house. ( I have a big, older home with dogs, etc.) It makes quick work of any hob. I don't think you would regret the purchase.   

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I am tossing around the thought of purchasing a hand held steam cleaner to use primarily in kitchen and bathroom.  I do not plan on using it for flooring.  Would like opinions and recommendations.  I don't want to add another cleaning tool that may end up not being used.  Thanks in advance.

In addition to what has been shared, mine required constant holding down of steam on/ off switch. Hurt my hand. 

Respected Contributor

More trouble than what it's worth!! Had one used it twice and donated it. Waste of money!

Honored Contributor

I don't have a hand held, I have the Shark for the floors.  Not impressed, it was a waste of $ and I do a better job with rag and bucket.

Trusted Contributor

We  have the Haan floor steamer and love it.  We have used it for years on our kitchen and bathroom floors.  Other than floors, I don't see the steam cleaning as providing much of an advantage.

Respected Contributor

I am on my second floor steam cleaner - Bissell I think - and I like it a lot.  I am not sure about the handheld types - a lot to store I would guess.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a hand held model. I have a floor canister type with hose, attachments. Can't remember the brand at the moment.  I really like it . I mostly use it in the kitchen. It is great at taking off greasy film from the stove and oven. While I am cleaning those I run it over the small appliances and just wipe them with a dry cloth, quick and done. I use SoftScrub with bleach and Clorox wipes in the bathroom.

Respected Contributor

@Rockycoast  After reading many of the other posts relating to the hand held units I am now considering the type of unit you have.  Besides just the kitchen I can think of several other areas in and around the house where it might assist.

Honored Contributor

I never really saw the need for a hand held steam cleaner.  You'd still have to *wipe away* the residue/gunk that comes away after steaming.

I'm big on clorox wipes (store brand, but ones that kill 99.99% germs).

I guess those are the areas that one would use steam cleaning for.

I'm not saying the hand held steam cleaners are a waste, but it would be a *double duty* job for me to use one.  When the wipes would take care of the job.

I do own steam floor cleaners and use them on the bathroom floors and the foyer which are tiled.  I have used them on the hardwoods, too.  Not weekly though as I do the baths and entryways.

But I use overkill on those floors, too.  I always wipe away from the base of the commodes with Clorox wipes before I steam clean.  And use several mop heads (Shark) for each bathroom.  My bathrooms are average size except for one which is quite large.  They get 3 mop heads per floor.

You would not believe how many mop heads I have.  Between the steam cleaners and the large microfiber mops (Libman 18.75" mops) that I use with the Bona System I could clean a football stadium.

I forgot, what was the question.Woman LOL