Respected Contributor

Cleaning with Steam Question

I am tossing around the thought of purchasing a hand held steam cleaner to use primarily in kitchen and bathroom.  I do not plan on using it for flooring.  Would like opinions and recommendations.  I don't want to add another cleaning tool that may end up not being used.  Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning with Steam Question

I bought a handheld steamer for use in my house.  I saw my housekeepers using it and I thought "wow, that's just the ticket."  I used it 3-4 times in between their visits and now it sits unguarded in the pantry, like a lot of other things I bought.  I found it hard to use in my bathroom.  I think the thing I liked best about it was around the toilet edge, around the spigots where (I have black granite in my bathroom and blue pearl in DHs while the other bath is just faux granite).  Toothpaste (tell me I should not have had dark granite now) makes a mess on black and navy blue granite, so I thought it would be so easy to keep it clean.  NOT.  I found it easier to use a spray bottle of some windex, a small rag and long Q-tips to do that work and as long as I was not using it for the sink, why use it for the toilet.  I just do that with a piece of paper towel and some windex.  I don't have much use for it in the kitchen as I thought I would.  I have a glass top stove and dark granite, and I am constantly wiping while cooking.  This is just my experience and others may have better use and give you better advice.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought one several years ago.It was more trouble than it was worth.I went back to my spray bottle & paper towels.I found that it did a better job.

Honored Contributor

I used my hand held steamer often to sanitize my home when my girls were in elementary school and sick with many viral illnesses.   Now, not so much.   Instead of steam cleaning, Clorox wipes are doing my sanitizing.   Mine hasn’t been out of the bag for quite awhile.   

Esteemed Contributor

Had one - biggest pain in the pa-tute - e...............to the trash it went.

Honored Contributor

I think one would be good to own if you are concerned about disinfecting without using chemicals. Otherwise good old fashioned cleaning is still an option if you don't have to worry about germs which can be a serious problem for some people.

Respected Contributor

I thank everyone for taking the time to share.  

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny

I have the one that was a recent TSV here.  It has a brush + pads.

Porcelain in the kitchen, baths, pantry / keeping room, & laundry, and hardwoods every where else + 4 cats and a large dog ~ I love mine.  

Light weight, excellent on the porcelain and grout, hardwoods look great.

Just giving a view from a happy owner,  next to the vacuum this is the most used tool.

Perhaps the furry kids are the tipping point. 🙂

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I have one that I actually got from Q that I still use,  use it in the bathroom,  

I had also bought a steam mop for the floor that broke 

Honored Contributor

I bought one. It is somewhere in the garage. I used it once or twice and never used it again.