Occasional Contributor

I used to have the same problem with my tub until I started using Bar Keeper's Friend. I have used it for years for my kitchen sink and all my stainless steel pots and they gleam. It finally dawned on me to use it on the tub and I've been really happy with the results.

Valued Contributor

I use plain old Soft Scrub in my tub after every bath. Keeps mine pretty nice

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

I also have a fiberglass tub and because I use Skin so Soft bath oil every day I have to scrub it daily. I use lysol spray and a magic eraser and I am very happy with the results. However, our house is only 4 years old - I think that as those fiberglass tubs and showers age they do not look as nice as when they are new , no matter what you do.

Honored Contributor
On 12/20/2014 cndkrick said:

While I don't like using this product every time I clean as it is too strong, I like using CLR or Lime-a-way cleaner for a deep clean (probably what you're looking for).

I use this in our camper to clean the shower and the sinks because we have well water and the minerals that go with that. I use it with a magic eraser and it seems to do a great job. Even the glass shower door sparkles.

Honored Contributor
On 12/20/2014 Caffeina said:

This is the best I've found. Under $2 from Walmart.

I use this too, the cheaper version of Clorox Clean Up

Super Contributor

All those toxic chemicals going into the wastewater system! Makes me shudder. Does anyone consider the environment when purchasing or using cleaning products?

As someone else pointed out, dish soap mixed with salt or baking soda cuts soap scum and works on just about any other sort of grime as well. A little elbow greases and a Magic Eraser should finish off either traditional or fiberglass surfaces nicely.

If you clean often enough to avoid buildup, you won't need to use harsh and poisonous chemicals, or waste your money on them. Just don't wait weeks or months between cleaning!

Respected Contributor

My fiberglass tub has yellowed. It's clean but discolored. Any hints about how to get the yellow out? (I've tried all of cleaners mentioned above without sucess.)

Honored Contributor
On 12/21/2014 Cinder63 said:

All those toxic chemicals going into the wastewater system! Makes me shudder. Does anyone consider the environment when purchasing or using cleaning products?

As someone else pointed out, dish soap mixed with salt or baking soda cuts soap scum and works on just about any other sort of grime as well. A little elbow greases and a Magic Eraser should finish off either traditional or fiberglass surfaces nicely.

If you clean often enough to avoid buildup, you won't need to use harsh and poisonous chemicals, or waste your money on them. Just don't wait weeks or months between cleaning!

Dish soap has as many toxic chemicals as any BR cleaner .

Honored Contributor
On 12/21/2014 nomless said:

My fiberglass tub has yellowed. It's clean but discolored. Any hints about how to get the yellow out? (I've tried all of cleaners mentioned above without sucess.)

A friend of ours bought a home that had this problem in both bathrooms. It was not in her budget to replace them so she had them ""resurfaced"". They spray a material on the top and when it dries it is a whole new enamel type surface. They look very nice at a fraction of the cost of new.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, HH. I, too, sort of think resurfacing is the only answer. Unfortunately, I'm in a rental and major re-do's such as this aren't allowed. Most of the tenants here have the same problem, but there's no action from management because the tubs are still functional, of course. Sigh. I do my best to ignore how bad it looks....at least I know it's clean.