Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1

Once they opened an Aldi store in my area, I was taken in by inexpensive baking items. I figured they were cheap so I would buy more than one.

I have not been in Aldi in a few months, so that helps a lot!

Honored Contributor

I wish I had a pantry to clean!   I have to use cabinet space which I hate because there are not that many cabinets.  That is life in an apt.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@Q4u

I kept some items that were expired but are still good. The mixes still taste good with fresh eggs!

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb

never been to Aldis but I used to get carried away on the BOGOs at Publix....until I realized I only needed one YET paying for 2!!!

Dont ask me why I never thought about it until started shopping at our WM for food staples.  

Respected Contributor

Like @homedecor1 , I purge my pantry (and my freezer) twice per year. But, I do it in May - before summer - and in November - before Thanksgiving. I throw any and all unused baking items out and start fresh. If something doesn't have an expiration date beyond my next purge date, I  throw it out. I rotate items by putting the things I buy new in the back and use the oldest first. Having a child come home from college encouraged me to do this process. I've learned to buy less, and that took a while.

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb

fyi: just letting you know you've inspired me from reading your post - tackle my walk-in closet.

Its the only large closet I have & it's used as a linen closet, kitchen stuff overflow & more😳🙄 - I have decided out with the excess stuff....including shoes!!!

oh I'm going to be in there for hours....and I bet I surpass your 5 garbage bags!!! Lol

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

My pantry is a kitchen cupboard so I can't picture that much food being tossed out.  Now for a confession; I'll use expired mixes for our own personal use. Found some unopened pancake mix that I will use. I prefer to make pancakes from scratch, but I'm not going to waste that mix.

People get too crazy about expiration dates. I will admit that cake mixes and the like don't perform very well if they are more than a couple of months past their date, they don't seem to rise well. 

We eat 'expired' food. Especially commercially canned products. I'd never feed them to guests, and I try not to go over a year or two (and it isn't something we have a lot of, just a few things now and then that get overlooked). 

It makes me sick to waste food. I know there are so many people in the world who are hungry (or starving) every day. I try to be mindful of rotating and using what we have, or give it to a pantry if it is not going to get used before it's date.

But it is a great feeling to get the cupboards organized and cleaned!

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

@ID2

It is now up to 5 bags! I admit I was slacking on the pantry maintenance!

My mother died and I had to empty her house and get it ready to sell all by myself. Then the hot water heater exploded and I had to complete remediation on the damage which took me several months.

I also work full time and was finishing a master's degree.

Guess I wasn't paying much attention to those pantry item dates!

My bad! Smiley Happy

Sounds like your plate was full (pun intended). Don't beat yourself up! You'll do better with it as it has made an impact.

Esteemed Contributor

I moved a few months ago (major downsize), and I threw away so much stuff I couldn't believe it.  I've downsized before, but it still was a shock.  And a lot of work!

From now on - once a year  - I'm going to pretend that I'm moving, and go through everything:  food, shoes, clothing, books, absolutely everything.  It's not only a practical thing to do, but also a very liberating feeling.  :-)

Honored Contributor

I've always thought it difficult to really clean out, unless I am moving.

I've downsized a lot and moved a lot but I know I have things now that I would probably get rid of if I was moving.

I still like them enough to keep them right now.I try not to get many new things at all, in all categories and that cuts down on stuff for sure.

Congratulations @NYC Susan on your cleaning out!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"