Respected Contributor

Cleaning people that use old fashion cleaning equipment

I live in a 1 story house only 2 rooms face the front of the house, a guest bedroom & a bonus room. Have no idea what goes on outfront cuz I am not really using those rooms. Have 2 cats & had to get new cat tree/condo thing they love looking out the window in bonus room. Ordered on line so Dh has to put this thing together so my job is finding all parts so he can put it together, so I am helping him the guy across the street has a cleaning lady so she is done putting her things in the car. I am handing DH parts & watching her. She pulls out the spaghetti mop twists it out with a bucket (haven't seen mops like that in yrs) has her vacuum cleaner then she puts a real feather duster in the car too. I don't clean like that & being retired been thinking about getting a cleaning lady. I have decided not to even look out that front window which we never do, no cleaning lady with that stuff I will continue cleaning my house the way I want. Spaghetti mop? Glad that cat condo is done, I don't want a cleaning person & learned never even look out the front window. Feather duster?? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning people that use old fashion cleaning equipment

@sissel.  I too, own a house with just a front window in the master BR  and it's covered by a huge bush.  I miss everything going on in the neighborhood.  Hate not being able to see outside.

I thought they only used feather dusters in movies.  They just rearrange dust.  I tried a string mop once; exhausting and the hardest, most unsanitary way to mop.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The poor guy lost his wife a few years ago and they are in their 50's think she had cancer, talked to her a few times she was always talking about cleaning after she had guests. He has no idea and while my DH is on the floor putting this cat condo thing I said spaghetti mop feather duster he had no idea what I am saying so funny. Seems she hasn't watched Don Asslet on QVC with his micro mops & dusting rags. LOL 

Respected Contributor

Wow about the old type mop - I can't imagine.  And a feather duster?  I use Swiffers and only Swiffers.  

Honored Contributor

Sounds like she’s a dedicated old school style cleaning lady.   Probably doing a job she does very well, but by the only ways she knows how.   I bet she’s very detailed and particular, and has no interest in our swiffers, Don Aslett or Campanelli items.   

Valued Contributor

I use Swiffer dusters only to quickly clear something that I've noticed is dusty.  When I do my "real" furniture dusting, it's with a dampened terry cloth towel.  I don't feel that the Swiffers are really cleaning that well. 

Honored Contributor

I cannot tell you--how much I HATE to clean---but when I clean, I have and use equipment that will do the best job  with the least amount of work and get it done quick and easy. The hard core stuff like window washing, lawn mowing, carpet cleaning, painting etc---I hire people to do that. Am so over all that nonsense now. 

Honored Contributor

It skeeves me out that cleaning people go from home to home using the same supplies.

A vacuum bag could have fleas in it.  The vacuums always look so cruddy and dusty.  They need to be wiped off and the wheels cleaned, too.

How would you like a mop that cleaned a stranger's bathroom floor where the toilet has overflowed to be used on your kitchen tiles?

Rags that wiped around the toilet bowl and seat are now being used on your shower fixtures.

No thank you!  If I ever had a maid, she would use my products and my cleaning tools and do it in the order that I want it done.

Some people just want cleaning, but don't care if it's clean.

Honored Contributor

How funny ... 

I use a feather duster weekly (and have for years) for a once over.   It's really convenient for dusting all the picture frames and mirror frames and other wall decor ... all 35 pieces ... without disturbing their position on the wall.   

BUT - I have updated my sponge mop to a Swiffer Wet Jet.  Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

It skeeves me out that cleaning people go from home to home using the same supplies.

A vacuum bag could have fleas in it.  The vacuums always look so cruddy and dusty.  They need to be wiped off and the wheels cleaned, too.

How would you like a mop that cleaned a stranger's bathroom floor where the toilet has overflowed to be used on your kitchen tiles?

Rags that wiped around the toilet bowl and seat are now being used on your shower fixtures.

No thank you!  If I ever had a maid, she would use my products and my cleaning tools and do it in the order that I want it done.

Some people just want cleaning, but don't care if it's clean.

@Lucky Charm :  My cleaning lady uses my vacuum and always dumps it before she leaves.  My vacuum has the clean canister (commercial).  Also I asked her about the other things she uses at my home, and I am satisfied with her response.